8 Ways to Beat the Homesick Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

No matter how fun being away at college can be, homesickness hits everyone eventually. It can end up deterring you from your schoolwork, or even worse, it can cause someone to leave school and return home. Nobody wants to have the latter happen, so Her Campus WPUNJ is here to tell you some ways to beat the homesick blues!

Surround yourself with pictures

This is a simple way to hang on to the memory of family and friends from back home.

Join a club or social group

Joining an organization that meets a few times a week can help you to put your mind on something else, especially doing an activity that requires a lot of concentration, such as the debate team or a sport. Doing this can also lead to the making of new friends and new things to do!

Keep a diary or journal

When you’re feeling down, writing those negative thoughts can help let your emotions out in a good way.

Invite old friends to visit

If you’re feeling particularly lonely one week, pick up the phone and call your friends to come visit! Show them around campus, talk about each other’s busy lives, and introduce them to your new friends at school.

Volunteer

Volunteering somewhere around school or on campus can not only make you feel better about yourself, it can also help you realize how small your problem is compared to some of the less fortunate people in the world. Giving back to the community is a guaranteed way to lift your spirits!

Call whomever you’re missing

Whether it be Mom, Dad, or the friend from high school, picking up the phone and chatting for a few minutes is probably one of the best ways to cheer yourself up, and chances are, the person you’re calling will be happy to hear your voice.

Think positive thoughts

It may seem like a strange thing to do, but “think happy” to flush all the negativity out of your system! Focus on all the good things happening in your life, such as the recent A on your hard midterm, or the scholarship you just won! Create good vibes, and if that doesn’t work, try buying a book that has daily inspirational quotes to help set the mood.

Remember you are not alone

Sometimes when we’re feeling down, we tend to exaggerate and think it only happens to us. Everyone goes through periods of homesickness, so next time you think you’re the only one feeling this way, talk to your roommate. Chances are, she’s feeling the same way, too.

Being away at school is something to be enjoyed and remembered for all the positive things. So next time you are feeling a little homesick try doing one of the tips mentioned, and above all remember how blessed you are to have people worth missing!

Tara Davis-Scholle is a junior at William Paterson University. She currently writes for Her Campus, and has written for USA Today and PreviewStay in the past. She has been an Events and Marketing intern for Habitat for Humanity of Trenton, and in her free time, Tara likes to read, travel, and go to the Jersey Shore!
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"