Why John F. Kennedy Jr. is Still a Heartthrob

Posted -

John F. Kennedy Jr. has been gone for almost 18 years, and he is still the biggest heartthrob. The gorgeous man was born into one of the most famous families, with his dad being President John F. Kennedy and his mom being Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. I could give you all 100 reasons as to why I think he is still the biggest heartthrob but I thought I would narrow it down to eight.

1. He was super close to his mother

John was a self-proclaimed momma’s boy. To be honest, that’s pretty fair because he unfortunately didn’t know his father, (he was only three-years-old when he died). I watched a documentary called I am JFK Jr., In the documentary, close friends said that John always did what his mother told him to do even as a grown man. He always went to her before deciding to do anything and if she didn’t like it, he wouldn’t do it.

2. He was a jokester 

Copyright: Getty Images

Back during the Clinton/ Lewinsky scandal, John sent Bill Clinton a funny fax that read, “‘Dear Mr. President, I sat under that desk – there’s barely room for a 3-year-old, much less a 21-year-old intern. Cheers, J.K.’” LMFAO!! You all have to admit that’s pretty funny. I mean, even Clinton busted out laughing when he got the fax.

3. He was an animal lover

Copyright: Getty Images

Left to right Sam and Friday

John grew up with a lot of animals in his short life but his most famous animals were his two dogs, Sam and Friday. Story time: “When John was campaigning for his Uncle Ted, he would bring a mystery companion with him. John brought a companion, all right – an enormous German shepherd dog named Sam he had just rescued from the pound. He loved to talk about the expression on the campaign worker’s face and the reaction of the clerk at the Charles Hotel when John and Sam checked in.”

4. He was controversial when it came to his family’s history

Copyright: Getty Images

Some may not think this is a “heartthrob worthy” quality but I do. John had a magazine called George, which was obviously political with some pop culture. For President Clinton’s birthday, he had Drew Barrymore dressed up as Marylin Monroe, with the words “Happy Birthday Mr. President”. I’m sure all of you are well aware that his father allegedly had an affair with Marylin Monroe, so it’s pretty great that he can have fun with his family’s controversies.

5. He was a doting husband

Copyright: Getty Images

Nothing is more attractive than a man who cares about his wife. After John and Carolyn got married, he addressed the press to give her space because she was still very new to being a “celebrity” (No, he didn’t say the word celebrity but that’s beside the point). He cared about his wife’s safety and that’s just super attractive.

6. He was not a trouble maker like his cousins

Copyright: Getty Images

John was never into the heavy drugs and partying like his cousins were. Not to say that John didn’t have fun but he didn’t have a record. He was never arrested, accused of rape, or sleeping with his children’s nanny. His mother, no doubt played a huge part in all of that obviously.

7. He wasn't perfect

Copyright: Getty Images

John went to Brown University and then to NYU for law school. Unfortunately for John, he had to     take the bar exam three times. Even though John had this famous last name, even he struggled in school. It turns out that John had dyslexia and he refused to take the extra time that was given to him to take his exam, because he didn’t want people thinking he was getting help because of his name.

8. He carried himself well  

Copyright: Getty Images

John had been followed by the press since he was a baby and as you can imagine, it couldn’t have been easy. I mean, having your every move documented? No thanks! John however seemed to except it. He knew what his last name was and he knew people were interested in him. From the YouTube videos I’ve seen with him, he had no problem talking to the press and answering the hard questions.

9. He was the sexiest man alive

Copyright: Getty Images

John was People Magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive in 1988. Though it was well before I was born, I can totally see why. His hair, his eyes, his jawline…OMG. He really was a beautiful man. I used to make fun of my mom for swooning over him but now I can see why she did.

About The Author

Hi!!!

I'm Kaitlyn Sulka, I am a senior at Western Michigan University and I'm studying journalism with a minor in history (Horray for history)!!

When I'm not in school, bossing my co-workers around or hanging out with the best dog in the world (yes, my dog is better than yours), you will find me doing basic white girl things like drinking wine (Moscato in case you were all wondering) and watching the Bachelor.

I also enjoy kickboxing, yoga, SoulCycling, dancing (no not in the club) and running...so yeah I'm pretty badass.

Okay that's all!

XOXO, Gossip Girl ;)

Editor's Note

Are you an aspiring journalist or just looking for an outlet where you can share your voice? Apply to write for Her Campus!

User login