Take the Plunge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Jumping into a pool of icy-cold water on an early Saturday morning sounds like the best way to wake up, right?

On March 17, WMU will be holding its fifth Polar Plunge at Lawson Ice Arena, beginning at 11am, to raise money for Special Olympics Michigan. The goal is for WMU to raise $20,000, exceeding last year’s $16,000.

“Participants raise money to plunge into a freezing pool of water, dressed up in a fun costume,” said Molly Cahill, Philanthropy Co-Chair for WSA. “Our goal for them is $75.”

This event takes place nationally; there are Polar Plunges in all states, even Hawaii (must be very chilly there!). The proceeds stay within the given state; for WMU’s event, 50% stay in Kalamazoo and the other 50% are spread to Michigan.

The Polar Plunge is a signature fundraising event for Special Olympics Michigan, said Tom Dowall, Development Manager for Special Olympics Michigan. The goal is to raise $1 million throughout the state of Michigan.

Twenty-five plunges have already happened and there are two more happening this weekend: one in Marquette and the other at WMU.

WMU’s plunge attracts and draws so many students on the day of the event that it is yet to be determined how much money it will generate. Dowall said that the plunges–especially the ones in Mt. Pleasant and Kalamazoo–are very student-driven. “No one ever predicted that these would turn into what they do,” said Dowall.

These crazy events draw a lot of media attention, Dowall said (so of course Her Campus has to get the scoop!). WMU President John Dunn is even plunging! Many other people from the community and school will be participating along with him.

“[Polar Plunge] helps in terms of how we are able to talk about our program and what Special Olympics is about,” said Dowall.

“I personally love anything to do with Special Olympics,” Cahill said. “My co-chair, Kelly Morrissey, and myself have been volunteers for the organization for years and love being able to give back and help out such a great organization. Special Olympics gives people a chance to grow and be able to accomplish their goals through participation in sports. It is a pure and loving organization to give back to.”

The plunges are going to be part of Special Olympics Michigan for the unseen future.
“Spectators are encouraged to come and watch the plunge, for free gifts and raffles and just a fun time,” Cahill said. People are able to register for the event right up to the time of the plunge.

For more information on Polar Plunges or Special Olympics Michigan, visit: www.somi.org

Editor: Noel Carlson

Katie King is a senior at Western Michigan University majoring in journalism and minoring in anthropology and gender and women's studies. This will be her second year writing for HerCampus and before that she wrote for the Western Herald. She also wrote for L7 women's magazine in the summer of 2012. In her spare time Katie likes to hang out with friends, watch reruns of old shows and talk about why Chicago is better than Michigan. When she graduates she hopes to move to New York with her tabby cat, Ellie and write for a fashion magazine. However, she changes her mind quite often so who knows where she will end up!
Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.