Living Japanese: A Bronco Aborad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

I’ve known I’ve wanted to go to Japan since I was about twelve years old. That was ten years ago, and now, I’m here! My name is Colleen Flanagan, and I’m currently studying abroad at the Daito Bunka University, located in Saitama, Japan. I’ve been here since September, 2011, and will be here until roughly August, 2012. I’m currently studying the Japanese language, with whatever forays I can make into Japanese culture.

My true relationship with Japan actually began when I was about six years old, when I started watching Japanese anime, Sailor Moon to be precise. But when I was twelve, I discovered the language and decided that I simply had to go to the Land of the Rising Sun. My love of Japanese anime had matured into an interest in Japanese language, culture, religion, etc.  Anime simply opened the door, so to speak.

I’ve been asked to write about my experiences here, and I’m more than happy to do so! I hope to provide a little insight to studying abroad (well, really just studying abroad in Japan) or to at least be a silly, interesting little column in your weekly paper. (So tell me, how is the weather in Michigan? It was a nice, balmy, 52 degrees today!)

Editor: Katelyn Kivel

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.