I’ll Say it: In Defense of Religion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

One of the phrases heard all too often is, “I know it sounds stupid, but I started going to church.”  And almost always I have a very confused look on my face; what’s stupid about going to church?  And how would someone respond to that? “Oh yeah, that is totally stupid that you find comfort in some type of higher being.”

What is ‘stupid’ about being a college student who wants to find a sense of faith, or if you’re a college student who doesn’t want to believe in faith at all?  There’s nothing stupid about finding comfort in something that others don’t.  People find comfort or a sense of Zen in many different ways, all of which might seem out of the ordinary, but never stupid.

Growing up in a Catholic household where I went to private school my entire life, gave me a different perspective on the idea of religion. Religion wasn’t forced on us in any way. It was a choice, and later in life, it became comforting and relaxing.

As I grew up, I learned certain things about Catholicism that I didn’t agree with. For example: I was bummed out to find that, “Jonah and the Whale” wasn’t a fact based story. I still relate to being a Catholic, but now, instead of being told what I should believe, I have my own perspective on things.

Being a Catholic isn’t what this article is about, nor is it fully about faith.  It’s about understanding that people deal with things in different ways.  Those different outlets shouldn’t be considered stupid. (Unless what you’re doing is highly illegal, then I would suggest a different path.)

“I know it’s stupid, but I started going to church.”  Frankly, I don’t know of anyone who thinks that people who are religious are stupid.

The idea of church shouldn’t be considered outlandish.  I don’t quite understand why it is considered out of the social norm for a college student to attend church. If something causes an individual to go to some church of some type of religion, then maybe they long to feel a sense of tranquility in this busy world.

A feeling of relaxation for a college student usually entails complaining about their busy day (all day) followed by telling their friends how they are going to get a drink as soon as they get home.  Which is fine, and I have absolutely said that, but no one questions the stupidity in drinking a bottle of cheap wine at noon.

“I know it sounds stupid, but I’m going to go home and drink an entire bottle of wine.”

Say that out loud right now… That sounds extremely weird and borderline off putting when said under the same terms. So why has society lead us to believe that it’s goofy to attend church?

Truth be told, one of the ways I ‘Zen out’ is I dance in my apartment (usually wearing my USA hockey jersey and wool socks).  If my neighbors are lucky, they’ll hear me sing my brains out as well. That’s goofy, rather than stupid, but it’s what I find relaxing.

Finding that specific feeling where it’s possible to think that everything is going to work out while at church is great.  That’s a huge step in having a calm life.  I remembered when I first discovered my sweet apartment dance moves, and it changed my life.

On a serious note, is the reason people think that attending church is stupid because they are convinced that they are too far gone for it to seem plausible to attend? In that case, this world needs to bring around the idea of forgiveness again.

It’s as if we have forgotten about the idea of forgiveness.  More often, we are simply going through the motions and we don’t truly forgive people for their wrong doings.  Forgiveness is a powerful feeling.

It’s impossible to be too far gone to never attend church again.  If it were that way, I doubt if churches would have that many people in attendance every weekend.  Everyone has the right to clean their slate, and for some, it might be re-discovering that peaceful feeling of church.

What I find to be senseless is to consider it foolish to go to church, but while at church, not care that you’re there.  Being cowardly in telling people about your new attendance at church begs the question, why are you going if you aren’t clearing your mind, finding some type of faith, or living out whatever may be preached to you.  Going to go, but not to retain a better outlook on life makes you look foolish and hypocritical.  There’s nothing heroic about telling people that you’ve started to go to church again, but still act like a jerk and have a clouded sense of calmness.

Everyone needs a place or an activity to reel them in from this busy, stress-filled world.  Finding that outlet to really connect with and feel a genuine sense of Zen, is hard.  When you do find it, whatever it may be, take pride in having a place/activity that you can go to and rely on through the bad times.  A poor attitude is what make things stupid.

I always find self-written bios to be kind of awkward, but throwing modesty out the window, here goes nothing: Hi, my birth name is Sara but I feel as though most of Kalamazoo knows me as Hollywood, which has been my nickname for several years now. The nickname was given to me when I played rugby for WMU, and it just stuck. This is a chance to set aside my ultra ego, and dive into the opinions and thoughts of Sara rather than the outrageous, unbelievable adventures of Hollywood. A little about me: I am studying Communication Studies and Nonprofit Leadership at Western Michigan. I think I'm almost done, but with college, who actually knows. My ultimate goal would be to have my own column in a women's health magazine that talks about nutrition, exercise, and maintaining a positive outlook on life as a woman. But if that doesn't pan out, I figure I would own my own hotdog stand, so I got options. Unlike most people, I love running and exercising. A few years back I had something devastating happen to me, and the way that I found happiness again was through a healthy diet, learning about nutrition, and working out. I completed two triathlons this summer, and in one of them I placed in the top 10 for the 29 and below age group. Now that I have conquered the triathlon, I don't know what's next off my bucket list that I want to conquer. (May be Brazil??) I am not a 'down-to-earth' person, rather, I like a busy life and I like being involved whether it be getting involved in volunteering or just trolling around Kalamazoo with my friends. I'm always on the go and I like it that way. But as of now, I'm just a twenty-something girl with a zest for adventure with an empty wallet who is making due with exploring all what Kalamazoo has to offer. If you see me out, I'll be the girl with red shoes and a mustache tattooed on her finger. I usually refer to myself as not the girl next door, but the girl two doors down; I have a little more life lessons under my belt and a different outlook on life. http://theblacksheeponline.com/author/sara-czarnecki twitter: @sarasuzieczar
Katie King is a senior at Western Michigan University majoring in journalism and minoring in anthropology and gender and women's studies. This will be her second year writing for HerCampus and before that she wrote for the Western Herald. She also wrote for L7 women's magazine in the summer of 2012. In her spare time Katie likes to hang out with friends, watch reruns of old shows and talk about why Chicago is better than Michigan. When she graduates she hopes to move to New York with her tabby cat, Ellie and write for a fashion magazine. However, she changes her mind quite often so who knows where she will end up!