Beating Back the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

When it is cold, blustery and just down right gloomy outside, it’s hard not to start feeling   a little “under the weather”. Especially in Kalamazoo, where it rains or snows nearly every day. The winter blues are characterized by lack of energy, little motivation and mild depression. The technical name for this malaise is Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), and it is surprisingly quite common. But fear not, because there are several easy ways to wipe your winter blues away.

Exercise

Get up and get moving, because exercise is key in fighting seasonal depression. Trust me, I know that just the thought of stepping outside in the freezing cold can be deterring enough, but the benefits far out weigh those few minutes of suffering. Not only will you become more fit, but exercising is a great stress reliever. When you’re always busy with school, it’s important to take some time to focus on yourself. Not to mention, 30 minutes of exercise a day does wonders for not only physical health but your mental health as well. Those 30 minutes a day can help prevent cancer, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, prevent type 2 diabetes, and increase energy. You don’t have to do some crazy workout to see the benefits either, as there are many different ways to get moving that will suit any exercise level.

Get some Vitamin D

There are several options for increasing your vitamin D intake. For starters, sunlight is an easy source. Just 15 minutes of sunlight can help you get the recommended amount of Vitamin D for the day, so even walking to class could be enough. But, since the many overcast days of Michigan winter can prevent this, you can also obtain vitamin D through artificial light. This can be done with the help of lamps, or through the more controversial method of tanning. Tanning has so many proven negative side effects that most people find it to cause more harm than good, and there are many light therapy alternatives available online. Another way to get Vitamin D is through food. Not a lot of foods have a sufficient amount, but fish (such as a salmon, tuna, and mackerel), mushrooms, and dairy all contain vitamin D. So through one of these methods, try to get some more vitamin D.

Eat a Balanced Diet

You know how they say you are what you eat? Well it’s true. It’s important to incorporate protein into your diet, so try to add more lean meat to your meals. Increase your veggies and cut back on caffeine. Not only is it addicting, but it can cause you to be more irritable, anxious and sleepy (even though it initially gives you energy). If you just can’t give it up, try healthier alternatives. Maybe try swapping that morning cup of coffee for green tea, which is rich in antioxidants (known for helping to fight cancer and reducing cholesterol). Lastly, reduce sugar intake. Too much sugar can cause the body to go into a hyperglycemic state that causes irritability and lethargy.

Brighten Up Your Space

When everything is so drab and dreary, add some color! For most college students living on or near campus, painting the walls is out of the question. But there are some other feasible alternatives that you can try. Try adding some curtains with color and texture, they add dimension to the space and give it a cozier feel. Add posters or artwork with bright colors to give your space some pizzazz. Add some life to your space. Plants (personally, I like African violets) can help purify the air, and they look pretty while doing it. If you’re a pet lover, get an aquarium. Aquariums can be decorated however you want, and having some little fish really makes a space feel lively.

The winter can be depressing, so take some time to your self and make sure you don’t let the weather get the best of you. These few months of bitter cold will go by faster than you think. In the mean time, try some of these tips to fight off those winter blues. Comment and tell how us you’re going to be warding off the blues this winter!

Editor: Gena Reist

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.