Thoughts on Having “Too Much Fun”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Just when we thought campus golf and formal would be the last crazy, fun, even semi-awkward weekend before spring break, good old William & Mary proves us wrong. Maybe everyone knew this weekend was the last time to blow off steam before midterms or perhaps we sometimes over compensate for the lame reputation of our school, whatever the reason, sometimes we just have a little too much fun (which, let’s remember, is a NORMAL amount of fun at most other schools). Having “too much fun” isn’t a phrase commonly associated with a college in colonial Williamsburg, but we’ve been hearing it more and more, and thought that we could elaborate on a couple possible explanations of its unusual occurrence.

In terms of fun had the weekend after campus golf, Gabi and I were glad to attend mixers where we didn’t know a single person we’re supposed to mix with, as we tend to have this elusive amount of “too much fun” at these gatherings. You might think it would be the opposite; you don’t know anyone…you feel uncomfortable…you inevitably leave with your friends and go to bars (read: the delis = poor excuses for nightlife), basically defeating the purpose of the word mixer, etc. etc.

But, through much research, a.k.a. going to such mixers and witnessing the aftermath, we’ve found that at parties where you don’t know anyone, people sometimes go a little more crazy than usual. Why is this? It might be because…why not? You don’t know these people so who cares what they think? This mindset allows you to do things you normally wouldn’t do and have wanted to try without being embarrassed. You might never see them again, so dealing with the “you’re never living this down” routine isn’t a concern. On the other hand, perhaps you want to try to seem more fun, outgoing, spontaneous, or daring than you actually are to this group of strangers, conceivably showing off that you can chug from a wine bag for longer than they can…great idea. Or, maybe you think you’re just super awesome and you just happen to outdo yourself trying to show them what it really means to be a twamp. Then again, perhaps this all too familiar scenario is an explanation: you’re awkward and prefer to not interact with new people, but feel socially obliged to attend such events so you attempt to drown your social anxiety, thereby becoming the friendliest person ever. Whatever be the reasons, we’ve noticed that people definitely get wilder than usual when they’re mixing with a group of people they’ve never met.

Five Dollar Prom 2011: A perfect excuse for having “too much fun” 

Another avenue in which to achieve the ambiguous “too much fun” is attending themed parties. Now, I know themes are the most common topic ever concerning college parties, but here at William & Mary, some pretty creative and ridiculous themes spawn from our twampiness. It seems that whenever we dress in outrageous outfits, the more our actions live up to them. A few weekends ago, Chi Omega held their annual “5 dollar prom” date party, where you must spend no more than 5 dollars to unleash your inner eighties prom queen or king. Everyone uses his or her ridiculous and often hideous outfits as an excuse to get crazy. All I know is, if my hair is teased, I’m guaranteed to have a good time. If wearing pink shimmering chiffon poofs, sequins, a floor length floral dress, and shoulder pads doesn’t inspire you to have more fun than you would on a normal night out, perhaps other themes will. We’ve been to “things that start with P” (I took this very seriously and actually carved up a pineapple), “Jersey Shore”, “jock Jams”, “Amurrica”, “bright and tight”, “celebrity f**k ups”, “Harry potter”, “you are what you drink” “welcome to the jungle”, “flanimal”, “it used to be cool”, etc., whatever the preference, we’ve definitely noticed that the level of fun had more than lives up to the craziness of the outfit.

So use every opportunity you get to reach the “too much fun” level. You’ll have the rest of your life to hang out with the same people over and over again at work and home, and I’m pretty sure that it’s only socially acceptable to dress as a pineapple, a natty light can, or an eighties prom queen at Halloween parties after we leave this place.