Review: ‘Noises Off’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Above: Rick Stevenson, ’19, and Alex Poirier, ’19, in Noises Off. 

When you take your seat in Phi Beta Kappa Memorial Hall, ready to take in Michael Frayn’s Noises Off, you notice that some things are a little, well, off. Paintings hanging on the walls of the set are askew. Some of the banisters on the stairs and balcony are not sitting right. You can just make out the shape of someone walking behind the large bay window, a focal point of the set. These small observations only serve to illustrate the wild ride that the audience will embark on over the next two-and-a-half hours.

Frayn’s comedy, follows the mishaps of a motley theatre company as they rehearse and perform a play within a play. And while the fictional theatre company may have much room for improvement, the William and Mary company is quite near perfect. The nine actors, directed by James A. Bond, are in constant motion throughout the show. Their rush of energy, bordering on frenetic, keeps the audience engaged and laughing throughout the three acts. The chemistry of the company really showed as they seamlessly transitioned between scenes, slamming doors and exchanging dialogue as though they were seasoned actors in an Aaron Sorkin-esque drama. The second act really showcased the attention paid to physicality. Taking place backstage during one of the fictional company’s shows, the actors are largely silent throughout the act. While this easily could have been a point where the audience drifted off, the bold motions and hilarious physical comedy used by the company ensured that even the drowsiest of audience members couldn’t nod off.

Above: Sarah Marksteiner, ’19, Cosmo Cothran-Bray, ’20, and Rick Stevenson, ’19, demonstrate the company’s command of physical comedy. 

While the entire company was strong (probably the strongest ensemble out of any show I have seen at William and Mary), several performances stood out. Alex Poirier, ’19, who portrayed de facto leader Belinda Blair, was a force to be reckoned with. She never seemed to stop, remaining constantly engaged in every scene she was a part of. Likewise, for Jimmy Cooper, ’18. Cooper, who played the role of beleaguered actor Frederick Fellowes, never seemed like he was playing a part; he was Freddie Fellowes. His dialect was impeccable, and his comedic timing was near perfect. Junior Rick Stevenson, ’19, should be applauded for his commitment to physical comedy—a spill he takes in Act Three had me in stitches (while also wondering if he may need some!).

Above: The company of Noises Off.

By the end of the evening, it is fully understood why set pieces are a little off. As the actors, completely dedicated to their work, slam doors and tumble about the stage, the set is sure to take a beating. But the rough and tumble performance pays off in the end—just listen to the riotous laughter coming from the audience. Make no mistake—there’s nothing off about Noises Off; it’s William and Mary’s best show yet!

Noises Off runs through Sunday, December 3. Click here for ticketing and performance information.

Photos taken by Geoff Wade 

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.