Read, Watch, Listen: October 7, 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

October is finally here. So, grab a Pumpkin Spice Latte, and check out this week’s Read, Watch, Listen!

Read

• Origin by Dan Brown—Everyone’s favorite Harvard symbolologist, Robert Langdon, is back in Dan Brown’s first thriller since 2013’s Inferno. Brown’s books have always been a not-so-guilty pleasure for me, so I have been eagerly awaiting this one (and the Tom Hanks film adaptation that is sure to follow). In this new novel, Robert Langdon is tasked with solving the murder of a computer scientist who was murdered before revealing an Earth-shattering secret. Brown, known for setting his novels in exotic and beautiful locales, sets Origin in beautiful Spain, making this novel the perfect fall break escape!

Watch

• Blade Runner 2049—According to critics, even if you didn’t see the original, Blade Runner 2049 is the must-see film of the fall. 2049 follows Ryan Gosling as Officer K, a blade runner that unearths a devastating secret with grave implications. With Jared Leto and Harrison Ford rounding out the cast, you know it’s going to be good. Even with the long running time (it’s close to three hours), critics are already talking about potential Oscar noms for the film. Bottom line: I’ve never seen the original, but I’m super excited to check this one out.

Listen

• “Almost Like Praying”—Everyone’s favorite human being, Lin Manuel Miranda, is back at it again. This week he released the song he wrote to help with hurricane relief efforts in Puerto Rico. “Almost Like Praying” features appearances by Jenifer Lopez, Luis Fonsi, and Gloria Estefan. The song can be streamed on Spotify, but you should purchase it on iTunes if you can, as all proceeds go to the Hispanic Federation’s Hurricane Relief Fund.
  • “Pray” by Sam Smith—Sam Smith, ahead of his new album, released another single from his second album on October 6. The single, which has been criticized by some as being another one of Smith’s formulaic hits, is sure to hit you where it hurts. Take a listen to the new song before Smith performs on SNL tonight. His new album, The Thrill of It All, drops on November 3.  

Main image source

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.