Moment Musicale: 4 Songs to Help Get You Through Midterm Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Let’s face it, as the semester comes to a close, every week is midterm week. You spend days cramming, crying, and consuming copious amounts of caffeinated beverages only to look at your calendar and realize you have to do the same thing next week. What better then to aid you on your journey than a go-to playlist for every stage of midterm studying? So play, listen, and repeat these five songs to help you power through those assignments.

For when you need a bit of a push to get started:

Youth by Foxes

When you need a little bit of a push to get started on those papers, tests, and presentations, put this song and its millions of remixes on repeat. With its psychedelic sound and electronic beat, “Youth” is full of energy while still helping you focus on the tasks at hand. Plus, if you’re looking for more ways to procrastinate, you can check out more of Foxes music, all of which incorporates a chill electro sound.

For when you’re taking that well deserved break:

FourFive Seconds by Kanye West, Rihanna, Paul McCartney

Another one of the collaborations between Rihanna and Kanye West, “FourFive Seconds” is a song about living for yourself, regardless of what anyone thinks. It incorporates Rihanna’s forwardness with the acoustic sensitivity of Paul McCartney and the raw emotion of Kanye West. It’s simple and unapologetic, just like me when I’m going to get that third cup of coffee at Swemroma’s. I would recommend listening to this song all the time, but especially when you just need a break from the hectic studying of everyone around you.

For the Big Day:

Burn by Ellie Goulding

I will admit that this song was overplayed when it came out; however it has grown on me since then. “Burn” is another one of these chill electronic songs that has enough of a beat to keep you going without evoking a full party mode vibe, meaning it’s a perfect song to wake up to. This is definitely one of the more undercover girl power songs—yes it’s about using love to conquer all, but within that there’s also a message of self-empowerment that urges for everyone to be themselves and shine bright over everyone that has doubts.

For when you’ve finished and it’s time to celebrate:

We Are Young by Fun.

You did it. You put all your focus into that exam or paper or presentation, and now you just want to relax and celebrate your achievement. Whether you’re planning to go out or stay in and watch some Netflix with your favorite stuffed animals, “We Are Young” is the perfect blend of chill-out acoustic and a belt-at-the-top of your lungs pop tune that gets us college students in a good mood.

Happy Midterm Month!

Psychology and Marketing major, accidental sorority girl at William and Mary. I love dressing fancy, eating, and sleeping, and hope to make a career out of all three of those things.