Meet Our Staff: Sarah Shevenock ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

We’re starting a series of profiles on our writing staff to introduce you to be faces behind the computer screen. First up is Sarah, one of our newest but most prolific writers. 

Name: Sarah Shevenock

Year: Junior (Class of 2018)

Major(s): Biology Major with a Public Health Minor

Hometown: Mechanicsville, VA

Describe yourself in three words: Passionate, Caring, Funny (or at least I think am)

Favorite movie: It’s a three-way tie between Lilo and Stitch, Crimson Peak, and The Social Network

Favorite song: It changes on a daily basis, but I have been obsessed with the Hamilton Cast Album since the day it came out last fall.

Wawa or Cookout? Wawa

Starbucks or Aromas? Starbucks has my heart—forever and always!

What’s something most people don’t know about you? My cousin’s best friend played on the soccer team with Jon Stewart while they were both students here. He also broke Jon Stewart’s leg during one of their games!  

What’s your favorite thing about William and Mary? I love that William and Mary us gives you a place to explore every possible interest that you have. I talk to my friends at other colleges and they rarely have the opportunity to branch outside of their area of study. I love the fact that I am a bio major, who can work at the campus TV station and take classes in any academic department I want.

If you were President of the College for one day what would you do? It sounds pretty nerdy but I would have professors from different departments switch classes for a day. I would love to hear an English professor’s opinions on biology, or a chemistry professor’s perspective on government.

What’s your favorite thing about Her Campus? I love getting to hang out with the other awesome ladies who are a part of Her Campus!

What motivated you to get involved with Her Campus? I’m really interested in media and journalism, but have focused mainly on broadcast journalism. I thought Her Campus would be a fun way to gain experience with writing.

What else are you involved in on campus? I try to keep myself very busy! I produce the show TV Talk for William and Mary TV, serve as a member of United Against Inequities in Disease (UAID), work as a co-Editor-in-Chief for the campus yearbook, The Colonial Echo, and I am a proud member of AMP Films. Additionally, I serve as the media manager for the ice hockey team– I produce and host a talk show for them called Tribe Hockey Talk.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned here at W&M? By far the most important thing I have learned at William and Mary is that it is ok to make mistakes. Your mistakes and failures will not define you as a person. As a life-long perfectionist, I’m still working on accepting this, but am glad that I am learning that lesson. 

Dana Florczak is an English major at the College of William and Mary, with aspirations of being the boss when she grows up. She loves talking about herself in the third person.