DIY Earring Holder For Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

My craft project this summer was to create something that could get my earring collection under control.  I was tired of digging through my over-flowing box of earrings, and never touching the ones on the bottom. I needed something that could display my earrings and not clog surface space in my room.

Now, you can always buy one of those earring holders from Claire’s, but why spend $15 when you can make your own for only a few dollars? AND you can customize it to match your dorm room!

This is how I made my embroidery hoop earring holder:

Materials: First you need to find a simple embroidery hoop. These can be found in almost any craft store, including Walmart and Michaels. They come in a variety of sizes and usually cost about $5 – $10.  Choose a size that matches your earring inventory; I went with a 10 inch diameter hoop, because I had to fit a lot of earrings. Next you need tulle and lace—choose a color that will match your dorm room décor! These can be found at any store that sells fabric. The amount you need will depend on how large your hoop is. Lastly, you can get a small length of ribbon in a coordinating color to hang it from.

Now to put it all together!

1. First, start by cutting out your tulle and lace. You’ll want to cut two squares of tulle and one square of lace, each a couple inches bigger than your embroidery hoop.

2. Layer these squares on top of each other, with the two layers of tulle on the bottom and the layer of lace on top. The layers of tulle add strength and structure, while the lace adds a decorative finish.

3. Next, open up your embroidery hoop, and lay your layers of tulle and lace over the inside ring. Loosen the screw of the outside ring, and then put that over your layers of fabric, pressing so that it slips over the edge of the inside ring.

4. Begin screwing the outside ring tighter, while simultaneously pulling your layers of fabric taut. This may take a couple of tries. Make sure the top ring is screwed in tight enough that your earring holder won’t fall apart.

5. When you are satisfied, trim off any excess fabric outside of the embroidery hoop. Lastly, tie a loop of ribbon through the top screw, using a large bow to cover up the screw itself. Use the ribbon loop to hang your new earring holder from a hook on the wall.

Congratulations! You now have the perfect new earring holder to keep yourself organized and brighten up your dorm room!

Photo credits:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85343373@N00/3085319541/in/photolist-5GD51v

Julia O'Connell is an English major and Linguistics minor at the College of William & Mary. Her love of reading has inspired her to pursue a career in the field of editing and publishing. Aside from reading, her hobbies include ballroom dancing, crafting, and baking with friends.