Campus Celebrity: Laini Boyd, ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Name:

Laini Boyd    

Year:

2018

Hometown:

Stafford, Va

Prospective Major(s):

Government, Educational Studies Minor    

Activities on Campus:

• Student Assembly
  • Griffin School Partnerships
  • Orientation Aide

Describe Yourself in Three Words:

Driven, personable, focused

Go-To Starbucks Order:

Caramel Brulee latte

Favorite Book:

The Miseducation of the Negro by Carter G. Woodson

Favorite Movie:

Blue Valentine

Hobbies:

• Tutoring and mentoring local middle school students
  • Watching Netflix Original thriller series like Black Mirror
  • Shopping

Career Goals:

Lead an education non-profit organization

What is one thing on your bucket list?

Attend the Summer Olympics

What is one thing people would be surprised to learn about you?

I lived in Italy for 3 years

Describe your perfect day in Williamsburg:

A typical Griffin School Partnership (GSP) Saturday Program morning: Head over to Blow Hall to grab the food for Griffin School Partnership Little Griffins, prep sandwiches, pretzel bags and animal crackers for lunch, setup the classrooms and greet the volunteers with members of the GSP board, watch all the Little Griffins develop a new skills and interact with William & Mary students that they will always look up, take a nap (because I will definitely be worn out), and head to dinner at Peter Chang with friends.

Favorite Restaurant in the ‘Burg:

Dog Street Pub

Your favorite memory from your time here:

One morning my current housemate, Paola, lost her phone on our way back to Jefferson Hall freshman year. We started to track our steps and headed to towards the dirt path behind McGlothin Hall. As we were walking, I thought that I saw her phone laying on the ground as a truck was coming down the path. Its wheels were in line with the phone, and I knew that it would run over it if I didn’t do anything. So, I jumped in front of the truck, screamed STOP, and picked up the phone as if it was no big deal. I have never seen Paola look so surprised since that moment.

What is your favorite thing about William and Mary?

My people <3

If you were President of the College for a day, what would you do?

The Office of Community Engagement in Blow Hall is my second home, so I would love to find a way to get rid of the roaches on the third floor of Blow! They can really sneak up on you.

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.