This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.
Name: Allie Jones

Major: English, American Studies

Campus Activities? Senior News Editor of The Virginia Informer, Social Chair of Kappa Kappa Gamma, Homebrew/various singing performances   So you write for Her Campus nationals… what is that experience like? What do you write about? I love writing for nationals.  Right now I’m the “Real Live College Girl,” so I give advice to guys about their relationship problems . . . it’s pretty hilarious.  I also write general relationship articles geared towards college girls, and contribute to the News blog.  The great thing about Nationals is the increased readership.  It’s cool to reach college girls all across the country!   Favorite trend for spring? Right now I’m loving bright bags and accessories.  A pop of hot pink or yellow or bright blue looks so fresh and cool against a basic outfit.   Best thing about W&M and one thing you would change about the college? I think the best thing about W&M is how easy it is to get involved on campus.  Since we’re a smaller school, it’s definitely not as intimidating to try new things than I imagine it would be on a big campus.  One change I’d like to see is more of a “downtown” area in Williamsburg.  We have basically no shopping or bar scene.  These are things every college girl needs: places to find good shoes and cute boys.  Clearly.   Where do you see yourself in 5 years? How do you think W&M will help make that happen? In five years I hope to be living in NYC and writing for a major magazine/blog/newspaper.  So far, my involvement in W&M publications has really helped me to start on this goal.  The advising in the English and American Studies departments has been great and supportive as well.  I think you need not only journalism experience, but a well-rounded undergrad education, and W&M definitely provides this.

Advice for college women looking to get involved with journalism on campus? It’s so easy to get involved.  Email editors and say you want to write.  I think campus publications are always looking for fresh, representative voices and if you have something to say, go for it!  I started writing at HerCampus W&M my freshman year and that really helped me get my start at Nationals and at the Virginia Informer.  Just keep adding to the resume and write as much as you can!   Thing you are most looking forward to about this summer?  This summer, I’m going to be interning at W magazine in NYC.  I look forward to stealing Blair Waldorf’s clothes.