7 Easy Ways to be More Organized in 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Source

2016 is here, and with a New Year comes tons of New Year’s resolutions that we will halfheartedly try to follow through on for about a month before giving up.

According to the Statistic Brain Research Institute, “getting organized” was the second most popular resolution for 2015. And if you’re a student like me, trying to be organized is an absolute must with new semesters, internship searches, and job hunts all starting in January. It’s easy to be drawn to the glamorous allure that seems to come with being a hot mess, but studies have found that increased stress can result in increased levels of cortisol and higher blood pressure. Whether you need a total organization overhaul or are just looking to clean up some rough edges, here are seven easy ways to make sure 2016 is your most put together year yet:

1. Look for stylish storage options. It’s hard to be organized if you don’t have the equipment. Crates can be stacked upwards for easy to see storage, or can be faced outwards to act as places to display your favorite treasures. Bookshelves are also great storage pieces that can come in a variety of sizes, depending on your needs. If you’re not looking to spend money on furniture, try craft stores like Michael’s for inexpensive alternatives. A basic stack of white craft drawers can go a long way with some paint and DIY.

2. Make cleaning an every day occurrence. No one enjoys cleaning, but doing a little bit at a time is a lot easier than leaving it all until the weekend. Try assigning one of your weekend chores to each day of the week. For example, try to do some dusting on Monday, vacuuming on Tuesday, clean the bathroom on Wednesday etc. Not only will daily cleaning prevent all your work from piling up on the weekends, but it also will keep you from being surprised by last minute guests.

3. Invest in a planner. It may seem expensive now, but investing in an aesthetically pleasing planner makes you much more likely to use it. There are an abundance of different types of planners to choose from, whether you need a small one to throw in your bag or a detailed notebook to help you schedule every moment of your day. Kate Spade and Lily Pulitzer are known for their whimsically colored planners, but check out your local bookstore for an even wider variety of designs and sizes.

4. Add gym classes in addition to your regular workout routine. Once you have your fabulous planner, check out the upcoming classes at your local gym. Classes allow for a high impact workout in half of the time of a solo workout and are a great way to get a head start if you “being healthier” was also one of your New Year’s resolutions. Having a weekly time to go to the gym makes it easier to incorporate working out into your every day routine. It also creates a sense of accountability: I can guarantee you that if you miss one week of class your instructor will probably be asking where you were the next time you show up.

5. Turn your weekly obligations into social events. Try and get your friends on board with some of your weekly obligations. For example, you’re a lot less likely to skip out on those gym classes if it means getting chewed out by your friend later. Making time to see your friends while also completing your tasks keeps your stress levels low and allows you to catch up with the ones you love. If even letting down your friend doesn’t motivate you, try what I call the “Work and Brunch”: follow all of your chores with a brunch date. After all, what’s a bigger incentive for getting out of bed in the morning than brunch?

6. Try to clean out your closet a little bit out of time. We’ve all been there: sitting in front of a messy closet the whole day set aside and no idea where to start. Don’t set aside time to clean out your closet: try and do a little bit each week. This applies to clothes you don’t wear as well as clothes that don’t fit. See a pair of shoes you hardly wear? Get rid of them: it’s better to have a smaller wardrobe of pieces you wear frequently than to have a big wardrobe of pieces you wear a few times a year. Want to get money for your gently used clothes? Apps like Threadflip and Twice let you sell back gently used items at the touch of a button. If you’re not looking for money than take your clothes to your local Goodwill or secondhand clothing retailer: these places are always looking for gently used items.

7. Get your technology involved. Supplement any of your goals with an electronic component. Whether you’re a phone addict or laptop junkie, there are plenty of ways to get your technology of choice involved in your organization routine. Have two sets of calendar reminders: one in writing and one on the calendar on your computer. Use the memo pad on your phone to help you make lists and cross off tasks once you’re done in order to see what you’ve accomplished. If you’re an app person, there are hundreds of apps out there meant at helping you be more organized. Need to sell things you don’t use anymore? Apps like OfferUp and Gone help you sell your items items safely and easily.  Want an even more detailed set of lists? Notepad apps like Remember the Milk and Evernote allow you to color code and organize lists quickly and easily. Having your organization tools with you when you’re on the go makes you more likely to stay on top of your goals.

So whether your goals are small or large, here’s to a healthy, less stressful 2016!

Psychology and Marketing major, accidental sorority girl at William and Mary. I love dressing fancy, eating, and sleeping, and hope to make a career out of all three of those things.