UW Business School Promotes Ethics Week: MLB Commissioner as Keynote Speaker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Today marks the beginning of the UW Business School’s annual “Ethics Week,” here on campus. This year’s keynote speaker is Major League Baseball Commissioner and former owner of the Milwaukee Brewers, Allan H. “Bud” Selig, a UW alumni who will be visiting campus this Tuesday to give a talk titled “Perspectives on Ethical Leadership—A view from the Commissioner.” In his presentation, Mr. Selig will discuss his role in building ethical principles within the Brewers organization and the MLB’s headquarters. Mr. Selig will also hold a question and answer session at the end of his talk, and give students career advice.

The commissioner is likely to attract a wide range of students, not solely business majors, due to his work in the professional baseball arena, as well as his renowed reputation here at UW. Two years ago, he recieved great recognition after establishing Allan H. Selig History Chair for the University.  Morgan Melka, a UW senior and leader on the speaker committee for ethics week, explains that “Being able to bring in such a successful, well-known professional, has so far attracted more people and gotten them excited about ethics.”  The purpose of “Ethics Week” is to promote ethical standards in the business world, teach students about the BBA honor code, and familiarize people with the Ethics Board Statement of Values to prepare for future ethical problems. Melka elaborates, “Ethics week is an opportunity for the business school to recognize the importance of ethics and remember our own values.” The respect of business ethics is essential for a successful future career.

Be sure to attend Mr. Selig’s talk tomorrow in Grainger Hall’s Plenary Room from 5:15 to 6:30!
Along with Mr. Selig’s visit, the IMAcc will be showing the film “Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room” this Wednesday in Grainger Hall.