Throwback Movies You Need to Watch Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s officially November, and to college kids everywhere that means the excitement of Halloween is over, signifying the start of the slow trudge towards the end of semester. Those sunny, 60 degree days are pretty much obsolete, the sun is starting to set as you walk back from your class that ended at 3:15, and you’re beginning to realize what a lie “Midterm Season” is: that once midterms start, they never really end until finals. You find yourself dazing off during lecture, nostalgically dreaming of those good ‘ole elementary and middle school days. You long for the times when after a long hard day of math worksheets and popcorn reading, you could flop on the couch, grab a granola bar, and veg in front of the TV.

While we can’t transport back to our younger years, our TV’s can. When the stress of school and life gets to be too much, I have found that the best medicine is to throw it back to my favorite movies as a kid. These top throwbacks are wonderfully cheesy, have a drool-worthy guy, and are completely unrealistic in every conceivable way—and that’s why we love them.

Freaky Friday 

There’s nothing like some classic mother-daughter body swap to take us back to our days of teenage angst, especially when that angst is portrayed through the hilarious acting of Jami Lee Curtis. And we can’t forget Chad Michael Murray, who is still a dreamboat even with that sheepdog hair.

What a Girl Wants

The reason we all love this movie is literally right in the title: it’s what every girl wants. We secretly all want to be part of a royal family, living in a mansion, and having a ball thrown in our honor where we can wear a big white dress and a tiara—it’s our princess fantasy grown up. The prince was swapped for a hot, British musician, but hey, I’ll allow it.

(***My only beef with this movie is that for about a year after I first saw it, I thought the line “Pull your lip over your head an swallow it” was the best comeback I’d ever heard. Just…no.)

A Cinderella Story

Say hello again to Chad Michael Murray, this time sporting a much sexier hair-do. Bravo, CMC, bravo. Once again, this movie reflects our forever-underlying desire to go to a ball in a giant white dress, and you can credit the climactic scene as the reason making out in the rain became a fantasy of yours.

A Walk to Remember  

Every time I watch this movie, I ask myself the same question: why isn’t Shane West in more things? I’ll never understand. As one of the sweetest movies of all time, this flick is perfect if you’re in the mood for a good cry. You sob over Jamie and Landon’s bittersweet sob story and the current state of your school workload at the same time—it’s like killing two birds with one stone.

She’s the Man 

By far Amanda Bynes at her best (which is comforting, since she’s currently at her very worst). This movie never fails to make me laugh, and somehow Channing Tatum is dazzling even with a tampon in his nose.

Mean Girls

If you’re an avid HC reader, you know we have a special place in our hearts for this movie. The fact is, every day is a good day to watch “Mean Girls,” and this throwback is as timeless as it gets.

So when the going gets tough, the tough…get going to the couch with a glass of wine to watch these favorite throwback movies.

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com