Surviving the Midterm Apocalypse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Midterms: can’t live with ‘em, can’t pass a class without getting a somewhat decent grade on ‘em. While it seems midterms are just another way for your professors to use their endless power to torture you mid-semester, they are an evil that is here to stay. While it is sometimes difficult to make it through, here are six methods we’ve found that help keep the stress low and you on top of your game and ready to ace those tests.

1.     Don’t reach for the junk food

As tempting as it is to grab every salty, sweet, and caffeinated food and beverage in sight, don’t let the stress be an excuse for you to treat your body poorly by filling up on junk. Sure, treat yourself to some Babcock ice cream after a long afternoon of studying, but don’t forget that you feel and think your best when you eat healthy. Hit the fruit and salad bar, ladies.

2. Get your eight hours in. This one is pretty self explanatory: the more sleep you get the better you will feel. We all know what it feels like to pull an all-nighter and only have time for a mere 2 hour nap before the midterm starts (we’re looking at you, Chemistry), and you really don’t want to wake up like this:

3. Work out more than the problems on your math homework

Making time to hit the gym may seem like an impossible feat, but even an hour of getting your heart rate up releases endorphins and reduces stress. It can also make a huge difference in clearing your mind and refocusing you.

4. Don’t put your studying off to the last minute…

…or you will undoubtedly feel like this. Avoid procrastination by planning out your study time and spreading out the heavy workload. Your grades, and your tissue box, will thank you for it.

6. Don’t forget about your me-time

That’s right! I’m here to remind you that you need to “treat yo self” to a little down time during the week. Anything from watching a movie (not 6, thank you Netflix) to painting your nails will do, so long as you take a little time to relax and focus on something other than Aristotle’s model of the universe.

Finally…

Rock that midterm like Beyonce rocks a sold-out show.

You’ve got this, and its time for all your hard work—along with these tips—to pay off! Walk in there and show that midterm who’s boss.

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com