Summer to Winter Transition: Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I don’t know about all of you, but I am a firm believer that one of the trickiest times of year to keep your makeup looking flawless, occurs in winter. You can leave your house looking great, and by the time you make it to class the wind has made you cry, therefore making your eyeliner, mascara, and foundation become one. The struggle is so real. Check out a few of my tricks for keeping makeup looking great no matter what the weather.

1. Foundation

Just as I included in my winter skincare article, moisturizing is the key to surviving winter weather. This goes for foundation as well. It’s a good idea to switch from powder to liquid foundation during the winter months to put a little more hydration in your skin. If you have a powder one that you totally love, put that on over top of your liquid (which is what I do). Also, peace and blessings to the inventor of BB cream for providing us a prefect skin color match every time.

My favorites:

L’Oreal Paris Magic Skin Beautifier B.B. Cream – Walgreens, $9

Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse Foundation – Walgreens, $9

2. Blush

Blush isn’t especially necessary during the winter, since our cheeks are often flushed on their own from the cold. Either way, it is wise to switch to a cream blush rather than powder. It will stay put a little longer (after all the wind-crying) and adds a little extra layer of protection to those sensitive cheeks. Stick to warmer, berry colors instead of bright, coral colors. A good rule of thumb is to pay attention to what color your cheeks are when you come inside and they’re flushed. That’s the color you should look for in a blush.

My favorites:

Maybelline Master Glaze Blush Stick – Walgreens, $9

e.l.f HD Blush – Target, $3

3. Mattes

A fun trick to automatically make your makeup look wintery and ~*mAjEsTic*~ is to use matte tones rather than the shiny ones we use during summer. Read: lipstick and eye shadow. Keep the sparkles to a very minimum on your eyes, stick to a matte smokey eye with charcoal or dark brown colors. On your lips, try a dark matte berry color. Nude lipsticks are also a great choice during the winter, but make sure that one is shiny otherwise you tend to look like a corpse (sad but true).

My favorites:

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette – Sephora, $30

Maybelline Color Sensational Matte in Divine Wine – Target, $5

4. ChapStick

I know I already mentioned this in my skincare article, but moisturize those lips, baby. Most of you probably don’t wear lipstick to class every day, which is where ChapStick can kill two birds with one stone BECAUSE… it comes tinted. Did I mention how much I love this stuff?!

My favorites:

Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm – Target, $5

BabyLips Moisturizing Lip Balm – Walgreens, $4

Those are just a few of the many little changes you can make to your winter makeup choice that not only make it survive the elements, but also protect at the same time. An honorable mention that didn’t make the list: waterproof mascara. To further combat the wind-crying, of course.

Hillary (@hillarybautch) is an aspiring yogi, a writer, an amateur photographer, and the first to offer a witty anecdote. She loves curling up with a good book, but rarely allows herself the time. She is one of "those" morning people and has complete faith in the higher power that is Beyonce.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!