This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

When you think networking, you probably imagine Grainger kids who wear suits to class, envision stale veggie plates at alumni “parties” and cringe at the thought of  awkward conversations about where you see yourself in 10 years.

At least that’s how I always imagined networking. However, now that I’ve begun my frantic job search, my opinion regarding networking has changed. Over winter break, I networked my butt off with surprisingly positive results. From my trials and errors, I’ve compiled a  short list of networking “How To’s” that will prove useful to those who may share my job hunt anxiety.

1. Reach out to as many people as possible. Contact anyone and everyone who may be related to the field you are interested in. I do not recommend planning a networking date with your gynecologist regarding your interest in mechanical engineering, but expand your horizons past your immediate comfort zone. Not only will this increase your knowledge of more industries, but it will help narrow down a career path. Figuring out what you don’t want to do is equally as important as finding out what you do want to do (trust me, I learned the hard way). Plus, you never know who might connect you to your dream job!

2.  Be genuinely interested in them. Throughout my networking endeavors, I found that people love to talk about themselves. In networking situations, that is great! In my experiences, people were very open and honest, willing to share what they like and dislike about their job. Gaining an insider’s perspective is very valuable to us entry-level wannabes, because it helps us understand the atmosphere and expectations of a workplace.

3. Meet in person (if possible). For me, meeting in person creates a much more memorable and meaningful connection. In addition, spending time around professionals will make you more comfortable in the future. I was a nervous wreck during my first networking coffee date, but grew more relaxed each time. I also feel more prepared for interviews because I’ve had practice pitching myself to networking contacts. If going to lunch or coffee doesn’t work, a phone call will do, too.

By networking, my job search has transformed from hopeless to manageable. I’m finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Through these networking dates, I’ve secured informational meetings with firms, interviews for positions and more networking contacts. Fight the visions of those stale veggies and Grainger nerds and actually try networking. Yes, it will be weird and uncomfortable at first, but it may be lead you to landing the perfect job.