Nail Trends: How-to for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Nail polish is an often overlooked accessory that can make the difference between polished and chic… and not-so-sleek. In addition to the endless color possibilities, nail art has taken the fashion world by storm. I, being a nail polish junkie, love to keep up with the trends without dropping $50 on a mani, so I introduce to you my holiday—and beyond—DIY nail polish guide. Get ready for metals, glitters, deep colors, and revamped classics. 

1. Duo-Tone: This look is easily achieved by first painting a base layer of one color and allowing it to dry. Next, place a piece of scotch tape so that half of the nail is covered. With the second color, paint the exposed portion of the nail. Slowly remove the tape for a modern geometric look that can combine any number of colors!  

2. This look is a simple on-trend glitter polish. The neutral dark brown is versatile enough to compliment fall outfits, and the glitter gives it a girly pop.

3. This simple design can be done with any combo of colors, but a deep base coat and a metallic dot to embellish really emphasizes it. Simply paint your base color, allow to dry slightly, and use a ballpoint pen dipped in polish to create the dot along the center one of the nail and near the cuticle. 

4. The ombre-glitter combo in this design will make your nails pop! The trick is layering. Start with a base coat of your chosen color and allow to dry partially. Next get excess glitter nail polish on the brush and dab along the edge of the nail. Swipe the brush against the bottle rim to remove most of the polish left on the brush, and us the dry brush to drag the glitter polish upwards with light, thin strokes. Add more glitter polish to the end of the nail when finished to complete the thick glitter to thin glitter look.

5. A simple grey goes with everything for fall, but choosing a unique color like this one with a gold undertone takes your nails to the next level!

6. Like layering shirts, sweaters, and scarves, the layered nail look is easily achievable. Start with a chosen base coat color and allow to dry partially. With the next color, paint the coat so that the color doesn’t reach the edge of the nails. Optionally, a third color can be applied (as pictured) by simply painting the coat as to leave the first and second color exposed. This can also be done by painting in different directions for a more geometric look. If desired, a toothpick or ballpoint pen can be dipped in polish and used to create dots.

7. Combining a transparent eye-catching glitter coat with a dark base coat is a great way to make your nails stand out from both afar and up close! 

8. Nude never gets old, making fingers look longer and more slender as well as matching with just about anything. Choosing a nude with a metal undertone like silver or gold can bring your nails from plain to chic.

9. The marbled look is awesome because it’s easy and looks like a professional did it! Start off with a base coat. You will need a plastic bag, piece of saran wrap, or piece of paper for this (receipts work well, and tend to be laying around). Crumple up the paper or plastic and bunch it together. Paint a color directly onto the bunched up piece (metallics stand out well) and lightly dab the color in random patterns onto the nail until you’re satisfied with it. 

Between these nine different looks, there are enough possibilities to get you through the holidays and into the new year, and all easy enough for you to do yourself and without an expensive trip to the salon!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!