This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Well, yet another guy has latched onto you and no amount of salt or fire can get him to back out. Check out the right way to get him to back off without leaving a burn. 

Don’t be unclear

The problem with us guys is we will assume yes until you say no. I mean, even a no can end up ricocheting off our heads. So make sure we know that you are not leaving anything up to interpretation.

Don’t bleed it out

This often comes from lack of clarity, but more importantly, a lack of guts. Pull the damn trigger! Please! Put it right through our heads and make it quick. No need to crucify us!

Don’t lie

We prefer to hear that you just simply aren’t into us rather than you lying about not being on the market. When we find out that you turned around and started seeing someone else, our spirit is actually crushed more. The explanation with this comes back to clarity. By lying, we tend to think there is still a chance, leading us to a slow and painful death.

Don’t pity date

By committing all of the don’ts above, you could find yourself pity dating.  Please don’t bring us both to this hell just because you couldn’t say no.

Learn from the professionals: 

Don’t tell other people about it

I only offer this advice because of Childish Gambino’s experience. He explains it a bit in his song, “That Power.” If a guy is hitting on you, that is a major complement. The least you can do is not let the whole world know about our failure.

The general idea is to get a sense of how you feel and then tell us exactly that. Good communication is the most important part to a successful social life, so use your best communication skills and let us understand how you feel. However, I recommend withholding very negative reasons for your feelings; don’t tell us that we are ugly or annoying, just say you don’t have feelings for us or that you would like to stay friends. Tell us the general idea of how you feel, leave out details, and make it clear and concise. We may be tough to shake at times, but follow these guidelines and you are sure to find the process much easier.  

Communication Arts and Computer Science at UW Madison.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!