How To: Beat the Cold and Flu Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I have been sick for the last few days, so I figured I should review with all you ladies how to beat the cold and flu season so you aren’t like me!

College campus is notorious for carrying around all sorts of germs and diseases right around this time of year.

Because we are all in close corridors and come into contact with many other students, it becomes inevitable that we will all become sick at some point.

Since midterms are rolling around and no one wants to be under the weather while studying, I have come up with several ideas to beat the cold and flu season!

One way to avoid getting sick is to continuously wash your hands throughout the entire day. The lecture halls, park benches, city buses, bathrooms, etc. are all public places/amenities. With that said, lots of people (those dirty or hygienic) are all touching, sneezing, and coughing in/on these areas. Keep some hand sanitizer in your back pack or remember to wash your hands to fight off the germs found in these areas!

Another way to beat the cold and flu season is to get a good night sleep. Don’t ignore your mom when she tells you to go to bed early because sleeping actually helps your body revitalize for the next day. From personal experience, I cannot agree any more that sleep has always made me feel better; I can always tell when I am beginning to get sick, so I go to bed early and feel much better in the morning!

Get a flu shot! Everyone should head to UHS at East Campus Mall to receive a free flu shot. A flu shot helps build-up your body’s immune system to fight off the flu if it enters your body. There is no harm in getting a flu shot; I pinky promise it doesn’t hurt!

Finally, beat the cold and flu season by loading up on the vitamins and orange juice. Vitamin C and other important nutrients are found in vitamins, fruits and veggies and of course, orange juice. If you can tell you are beginning to fall ill, load up on the nutrients to help your body fight off the disease!

Make sure to keep clean (as I am sure you already do) and take care of your body to beat the cold and flu season!

For more information on how to avoid the cold and flu season follow this link!
http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20250939,00.html

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com