Don’t go…unless you know the rules for Mifflin 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Well, Dean of Students Lori Berquam certainly didn’t make many friends this week with UW-Madison students following her soon-to-be infamous “Don’t Go Campaign” video. NBC 15 even found this story interesting and interviewed Berquam the following day responding to the outrage portrayed by students online. The message may have come across a little condescending, but sadly, Berquam raises some serious concerns.

There is no way to suggest to students to not go to what UW Shoutouts call a “sacred event” to UW-Madison, but Mifflin 2012 is something we should all be informed about. The Dean says, “Don’t go,” and we say “YOLO,” but within reason. Here to inform you are the new rules for the Mifflin 2012 Block Party thanks to @2012Mifflin. ‘Cause we want to have fun, without getting caught.

1. Don’t carry an open intoxicant! The fine is $303. Sidewalk to sidewalk, no alcohol in your hands! Officers are enforcing this rule vigorously and claim they will not give any warnings to offenders.

2. Underage drinkers will be fined $177.

3. Confiscation of a fake ID will also be a $177 fine.

4. Mifflin residents supplying alcohol for underage drinkers will be fined $366 per underage drinker.

5. Mifflin residents charging for alcohol (kegs) without a permit will be charged with a $681 fine.

6. $429 if seen by police force as disorderly conduct or obscenely intoxicated (public displays of intoxication).

7. Lying to the po-po: $429.

8. Don’t pee in public! It’s unlady-like and unsanitary…and a $177 fine.

9. Know whose party you are at (and make sure they know you), otherwise “trespassing” is a $303 fine.

10. Leave parties with music that is too loud (okay this one is hard to judge), because if the party hosts do not have a permit, it is a $177 fine.

11. “Police are taking a zero tolerance approach to any infractions,” Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said. So be careful, but have fun!

12. Nuisance party ordinance will be in effect this year – meaning if the police think a party seems “out of control” they have the authority to end the party and fine drinkers.

Although a lot of these rules seem vague and depend on how each officer handles the situation, it’s no bet that Mifflin 2012 will be viewed under a (very) large magnifying glass. Following last year’s events, my hope is that people will have a great time with zero major problems so that years to come will be able to experience this grand event without the cops breathing down their necks. I wouldn’t advise people to not go, but I would suggest to be safe and keep in mind what is on the line (**cough cough, your life and education, cough cough**). So, if you must, crank up the “Don’t Go To Mifflin Remix” at your pregame, scream YOLO about a thousand times, and don’t forget to wear those four Mifflin tanks you just had to buy.

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com