Campus Celebrity: Kelsey Corrigan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

From holding leadership roles in two different on-campus student organizations, to tutoring elementary school students, to even earning the Outstanding Sophomore Award scholarship, UW-Madison’s Kelsey Corrigan seems to have accomplished it all. Kelsey’s strong desire to make a positive impact on the world is evident through her numerous philanthropic activities. Her unique persona and people skills, along with her work ethic in and out of the classroom truly highlight her worthiness of becoming this week’s Campus Celebrity.

What is your major and year in school?

I’m majoring in Biology and History of Medicine with a certificate in Global Health. Technically, I have senior status but I’ll go for four year so I guess I’m a junior.

What would your dream job be?

My dream job would be some kind of doctor specializing in global health. I would love to travel around the world while helping others in need and improving healthcare in places with extreme poverty.

What position do you hold in HOSA and what are your major responsibilities?

In HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America), I am the Special Events Coordinator. I am responsible for planning the big campus-wide healthcare conference (all campus healthcare symposium) in the fall. I also plan a charity run for the Children’s Hospital in the spring. It’s enjoyable planning both of these events because they’re both going to good causes; it’s a great feeling of accomplishment when they run successfully.

What position do you hold in CALS Health and Research Society and what are your major responsibilities?

I’m the Vice President, and the goal of the club is to inform undergraduates about research and different healthcare professions. My duty is to help the president by planning and leading meetings.

What will you be doing in Africa this winter? What are you most excited and most nervous about?

This winter I’m studying abroad in Uganda for four weeks. The trip is health and nutrition based so we will be visiting the three forms of healthcare (hospital, clinic, and village medicine) in Uganda and helping out at each site. We’re also learning about Uganda nutrition by visiting different agricultural sites, I think. I am most excited about experiencing an extremely different form of life and culture as well as learning from everyone I meet there. I’m nervous about the long plane ride and whether or not I’ll like the food.

Can you describe your two UW jobs in detail?

I work as a research assistant for a human oncology lab at the UW hospital. My lab works with malignant strains of breast cancer and is developing a new form of chemotherapy that targets a receptor that we discovered plays a big role in tumor formation. I help out doing research experiments and helping the PhD student in my lab.

At UHS I am a student medical assistant. When patients arrive at UHS, I am the first to see them, and I take their vitals and take note of any other information that the doctor may need to know.

Have you earned any noteworthy awards you would like to describe?

I recently received the Outstanding Sophomore Award. The award recognizes sophomores who demonstrate high achievements in school, leadership, and community service. I received a $2000 scholarship.

When you’re not busy in class, working or at club meetings…what do you like to do in your free time?

I tutor for the Schools of Hope program. I go to a local Madison elementary schools and tutor 5th graders with learning disabilities in reading and math. I also volunteer at Meriter Hospital in the Elder Life program. I take care of elderly patients by reducing dementia in the patients through entertainment (card games, talking, reading, music, puzzles).

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com