Campus Celebrity: Katy Miller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This week’s Campus Celeb is more than just a celebrity… she’s superwoman! From balancing athletics to school to doing service, Katy manages to be fabulous at all she does. Don’t worry ladies she gave a few tips on how to start on the right path. Katy seems to have accomplished everything and has the drive to do it. Many may think athletes only have time for sports but Katy uses her passion, intelligence, and courage to do more than just run, swim, and bike (which is already a difficult load). UW- Madison is lucky to have such a multi- talented girl.

When did you start running triathlons? 

I have always loved to do each of the three different components separately, but I competed in my first triathlon on my 16th birthday in my hometown, at the Verona Triterium. I knew when I was standing on the beach waiting to start with all the other women in my age group, that I had found something I loved. My goal for my first triathlon was to just finish, but I ended up placing second in my age group. From then on I went to the more competitive side of the sport.

What is one personal goal you have this season?

My goals for this year involve a few components. I want to complete a century ride (biking 100 miles), I would like to swim 2 miles straight without stopping, and I would like to finish a marathon. As for triathlon, my goal is to beat my personal record and compete at collegiate nationals. My ultimate triathlon goal is to compete in an Ironman someday.

Tip for fellow badger ladies who would like to be active?

For anyone who has never done the sport and doesn’t even know if they can do it, I would say that you should absolutely try it! There are so many skill levels and race distances, that everyone could do. Just hop on the bike or hit the trails for a jog and you’re already on your way!

Day in the life of KM

A typical day for me involves waking up around 9am, doing school work before my 11am lecture, going to class until 330, coming back to my dorm, volunteering until 7 at the east YMCA, biking back to Gordons to enjoy a nice spinach salad and hard boiled eggs (for protein), doing more schoolwork while I eat, and then biking over to the NAT at 8 for practice until 10, when I come back and sit in the silent study area until 1, and then I go to bed

Random fact

A random fact about me is that I love pineapple, with a deep burning passion!

I am currently a sophomore at University of Wisconsin- Madison pursuing a degree in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.  As Campus Correspondent of Her Campus, Wisconsin chapter I am passionate about current events and can be found browsing any and every article that pops- up on my Facebook newsfeed.