Campus Celebrity: Dewey Warner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This week’s campus celeb is the president of Sigma Phi Epsilon, Dewey Warner!

Why did you decide to rush for Sig Ep in the first place?

My roommate freshman year, Dan, was buying a football ticket from somebody on Craigslist since neither of us had been able to get season tickets. The person he ended up buying it from just so happened to be Mike Field, SigEp’s VP of finance at the time and he kind of took us under his wing. For anybody who has ever met Field, that should be explanation enough, but overall I was impressed with the diversity of these guys and the insane amount of fun they had with each other. Oh, and John Riggs— he was a big influence on me.

Why did you decide to run for President of your fraternity?

After being a part of SigEp for a year and a half and holding just about every position I could, I definitely wanted to be a part of the next exec board. I had some strong feelings about where I wanted to see the fraternity go and I felt I could do some great things for it as President, so I ran.

What’s your biggest accomplishment as president so far? 

I don’t want to take credit for something a lot of people have played a part in, but I think I’m most proud of the way we’ve grown into what we want ourselves to be. As any student organization, you always want to develop a big presence on campus and do large-scale, awesome things that people both within your organization and outside can be excited about. I think we’ve done a great job of both of these things and we’ve come a long way from when I joined as a freshman.

How has your fraternity affected your college experience at UW-Madison?

SigEp has been my college experience. Between joining right away as a freshman, to living in the SigEp house for two years, to holding all of the positions I have, there are few memories I have of college that don’t involve SigEp. Most importantly, it’s allowed me to branch out and grow and learn things about myself in a way that I couldn’t have experienced anywhere else. I’m a much better person because of joining this fraternity.

If you could describe yourself in 3 words, what would they be? 

Competitive, adventurous, inappropriate

If you had to describe the men of Sig Ep in 3 words, what would those be?

Unique, gentlemanly, zech

What’s your favorite (sharable) memory from being a part of Sig Ep?

I’ll never forget watching the Badgers make it to the Final Four during our spring formal. Being a part of over 200 people crowded around a tiny TV in suits and dresses going absolutely insane, was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.

Olivia is a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison with big aspirations in PR and advertising. With a love for writing, beauty and confidence, she’s making it through college one step at a time.
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com