This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I hate to admit it, but midterms have rolled around again. That means three things: (1) you’re probably looking for a new place to study, (2) you need a place to catch up with friends for a study break, or (3) you need more caffeine! In any case, you need a coffee shop. But before you head to Starbucks’ unending line right away, venture out and scratch your coffee itch with some of these other amazing coffee shops around campus:

1. Fair Trade Coffee House

In all honesty, I had never heard of the Fair Trade Coffee House until I asked my coworkers for suggestions. Somehow, I ended up finding another great study location right on campus. The coffee served here is 100% fair-trade certified and ethically sourced. Its convenient location on State Street and artsy vibe also make it the perfect coffee shop to catch up on some readings for your Econ class.   

2. Colectivo

Ahh, Colectivo, the home of the smallest caramel macchiato known to man. Regardless of their sizes, there is no doubt that the cups have a wicked aesthetic, which make them perfect for your next Instagram post. The space is the perfect fusion of open/airy and hip/eclectic, and its social atmosphere makes it an ideal spot for catching up with a friend you haven’t seen since you lived on the same floor Freshman year.

3. Crescendo  

Okay, this one isn’t technically on campus, but it’s still worth mentioning. I stopped by there for a quick iced coffee on a Trader Joe’s run and ended up coming out an hour later with a new favorite drink and a new favorite coffee spot. When I got up to the counter, the incredibly friendly staff suggested that I try the new Iced Chai that they just got in; to my surprise, I ended up loving it! The hip and comfortable environment of this place makes it the perfect space to host a study group with 5 other people who know as little about Organic Chemistry as you do.

4. Indie Coffee

Alright, alright — someone tell me where this gem has been hiding for the past year that I’ve been on campus? Conveniently located on Regent Street, Indie Coffee is my favorite destination for a quality, convenient cup of joe. Also, they have waffles ALL DAY — and these aren’t just like crappy frozen waffles or anything, they’re legit! Although the space is rather small, it’s still a great little brunch spot (although we have no shortage of those in the Madison area).

5. Espresso Royale

Conveniently located on State Street, this coffee shop will satisfy all your caffeine needs. Its daily specials — which entails $2 lattes on Wednesdays and Buy-one get-one on Saturdays — make it the perfect destination for any broke college student. Also, the artsy and calming vibe at Espresso Royale makes it a great study space for midterms. Did I mention that they have the biggest medium sized drinks I’ve ever seen? 

Be sure to check out each of these coffee shops on campus. You got to treat yo’ self this midterms season!

Manisha is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin- Madison and a pre-nursing major. She is always itching to try the newest trends, whether they pertain to food, fashion, music, or any new product that claims to have an ample amount of caffeine. In her free time you could probably find Manisha online shopping, watching netflix, or avoiding her homework.