The 5 Stages of Grief: Grey’s Anatomy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

**SPOILER ALERT**

Well Shonda, you did it again. You managed to once again break my heart into a million pieces. George, Lexi, McSteamy…and now this. For those of you who have managed to stay blissfully ignorant about the recent events on Grey’s Anatomy, leave this page now if you want to stay that way. For those of you who fell victim to the wrath of Twitter spoilers, like myself, this article’s for you.

After a sufficient amount of ugly-crying, I think I am finally ready to talk about the latest death on Grey’s Anatomy. Well, as ready as I’ll ever be. As much as it pains me to say it, McDreamy is gone. Dr. Derek Shepard died from injuries he suffered from a car accident but, true to himself, he managed to save four lives before he died. DerMer made us believe that true love does exist, and Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital won’t be the same without him. For those still struggling with accepting this, here are the 5 Stages of Grief: Derek Shepard Edition.

1. Denial

Nope. He’s not going to die. They’re going to save him. Even Shonda Rhimes wouldn’t kill off McDreamy. He’s going to wake up and everything will be back to normal. Meredith and Derek will live happily ever after because they’re proof that true love exists.

2. Anger

THIS IS SO UNFAIR. HE CANNOT BE DEAD. HE IS A FREAKING NEUROSURGEON. HE SAVES PEOPLE. HOW DARE YOU, SHONDA. YOU ALREADY TOOK MCSTEAMY, NOW YOU NEED MCDREAMY, TOO?? NOT OKAY.

3. Bargaining

Okay, maybe he will still wake up. If he wakes up then he can save more lives, and that’s a win-win for everyone. So he won’t really die. Nope.

4. Depression

I don’t know what to do anymore. Is Grey’s Anatomy really even Grey’s Anatomy without Derek? I’m not sure I can handle this. I can’t do anything. I feel like my life is over.

5. Acceptance

Honestly, I’m not at this point yet. Definitely questioning if I will ever be at this stage.

And with that, we have to say goodbye to Derek Shepard. After 11 seasons, we’ve loved him, we’ve hated him, we’ve wanted him in our beds. And now, we’ll miss him. Thanks for the memories, McDreamy.

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!