15 Things You Realize Going Home for the First Time as a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

School has been in session for about five weeks now, and for the first time since move-in, I went home this past weekend.  Though it had its ups and downs, my first weekend home was fun and left me with an interesting mix of thoughts. 

1)    You forgot what your house smelled like, and it isn’t what you remembered. Now you realize what other people smell when they come over.

2)    FREE LAUNDRY! More than likely, someone else will do it for you, and you don’t have to pay $2.50 per load.

3)    You realize how much you missed your pet(s). Because cuddling with a pillow at night isn’t the same as your beloved pet.

4)    The feeling of being reunited with some of your best friends is the best…”REUNITED AND IT FEELS SO GOOD.”

5)    To instantly feel sad because you have to say goodbye again. And you thought leaving for college was hard the first time

6)    You remember how big your wardrobe is, and it makes you wish a dorm room had a bigger closet. Never have you felt so confined in your life.

7)    You forget how good your mom’s cooking is. And what can be better than free food?

8)    Sleeping in your own bed is one of the most glorious reunions you could possibly ever have. It feels like sleeping on a cloud, and you probably don’t have to climb on top of things to get into a lofted bed. 

9)    You realize how much easier you had it when you were in high school and didn’t have to be responsible for yourself. “You mean I can just ask my mom to bring me food and she will? No walking two blocks to the dining hall? Can I stay here forever?”

10) You don’t want to leave because everything is free at home. Being a broke college kid is great, right?

11)  Your parents are more likely to buy you things that “you have to have for your dorm” just because they miss you…“Mom, let’s go to Target and buy everything.”

12) You get sick of all of the questions about school. If I hear “So how are classes?” one more time…

13) You remember you have midterms on Monday and suddenly being at home becomes a lot more stressful. “I need to study but look at all this stuff I never used ever but missed so much.”

14)  Most importantly, you missed being able to walk out of your room and see your parents. After spending 18 years with them, it’s weird not seeing them everyday anymore.

Being so eager to leave for school can make you forget how great home is until you go back.  Just remember, home is where the heart is—and all the free stuff.  

Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!! 
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!