toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 13-Day Halloween Movie Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s that time of year again. The leaves are changing color, Pumpkin Spice Lattes are everywhere, sweater weather is finally here, and, oh yeah, Halloween! As October 31st rapidly approaches, the Freeform Network is your one stop shop for all things Halloween this season. With their “13 Nights of Halloween” movie marathon airing from October 19th-31st, you’re bound to get in the Halloween spirit and find some DIY costume inspiration just in time for the holiday.

Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus will always be a Halloween staple. With Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy, and Sarah Jessica Parker starring as the evil Sanderson sisters and an ill-planned family trip to a haunted house in Salem, Massachusetts on Halloween night, Hocus Pocus will definitely put you in the Halloween spirit. Best news of all? It’s playing nine times over the 13-day marathon, so you’ll definitely get to watch it at least three times. Prepare to be bewitched.

Monsters University

Mike Wazowski is back again but this time as a college-student at Monsters University pursuing a career as a Scarer. What better way to procrastinate studying for your midterms than watching Mike and Sulley try to out scare each other. You’ve only got two chances to catch this movie, so make sure to cancel all of your plans on October 22nd and 23rd.

Halloweentown

You’re in for a treat with the four-part Halloweentown series. Marnie and her siblings’ adventures saving Halloweentown never disappoint. Although, considering the first movie came out in 1998, we probably all have it nearly memorized by now. While these movies are definitely more feel good classic than Halloween horror, they’ll give you some great witch-themed costume ideas.  And hey, maybe you’ll learn a spell or two.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Could we even call it Halloween without watching a Tim Burton movie? The Nightmare Before Christmas never fails to get me in the Halloween spirit, and I can’t help but love Jack Skellington the Pumpkin King. The movie’s stop motion animations create the perfect ghoulish atmosphere, making this a definite must see during your movie marathon. If you still need convincing, it’s also a musical. And who doesn’t love a good Halloween sing-along?

Corpse Bride

If you thought there was only going to be one must-see Tim Burton movie this Halloween season, you’d better think again. It’s another animated stop motion film starring Johnny Depp, but this time with an unexpected love triangle and maybe, just maybe, a happy ending. Halloween doesn’t have to just mean horror, you know.

Scooby-Doo

Grab your gang and run to the closest TV because Scooby-Doo and friends have another mystery or two to solve. Mystery Inc. meets paranormal activity while on spring break on Spooky Island. What more could you ask for? Even though this movie is 14 years old, don’t let that fool you. It gets better every Halloween.

Sleepy Hollow

Sleepy Hollow is the only murder mystery during the 13-day movie marathon and takes the title of the scariest Halloween movie on the list. Unfortunately, for all you scary movie lovers, this isn’t your classic horror flick and the fear factor might not be up to par. But for all of us who prefer their Halloween without the horror movies, the pursuit for the Headless Horseman provides just enough of a scare to put us in the Halloween spirit.

Clear your schedule and grab your popcorn. You’ve got a lot of movies to watch and only 13 days before Halloween to do it!

I'm a junior at the University of Wisconsin Madison studying Neurobiology and Global Health. After graduation I hope to go to medical school and work with the World Health Organization. When I'm not cramming to catch up in classes, you can find me watching late night re-runs. I love to go hiking with my dog, prefer tea over coffee, and will never turn down a chance to go makeup shopping.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!