Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Her Story: Going to The Same College as My High School & Current Boyfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

There is a stigma that surrounds going to the same college as your high school significant other.

Many people believe that if you go to the same college as your SO, you’re following them and are too dependent on one another. In my experience, this is far from the truth.

My boyfriend and I began dating during his senior year and my junior year of high school and have happily together three and a half years now. He graduated and began to attend Winthrop University the year before I did.

When it came time for me to apply to colleges I looked into Winthrop and applied for him, but I wasn’t considering it very much. In fact, I thought I was set on another school entirely. I still decided that I wanted to give Winthrop a chance and toured it during February of my senior year. I had seen the campus before when I was visiting my boyfriend, but the whole atmosphere of the tour and the school made me feel like I was home. It was still a hard decision, but I knew Winthrop was where I belonged and while my boyfriend was part of the decision, I made it for me.

I don’t regret my decision attending Winthrop because it has helped me grow so much in just two years, I can’t imagine how much more it will do for me in two more. And having my boyfriend there for it all has made it so much better.

There’s no doubt that I may have had a different college experience of making friends, going out, etc. but I have never considered it a bad thing because I didn’t do anything differently than I would have had he not been there. Having him at the same college has made my college experience easier because he encourages me to do things that I’m nervous about, like join the sorority that I love. 

It’s great because while he’s there for me, I get to be there for him too. We enjoy being together, but we’re still individuals and have our own lives.

Being at the same college has allowed us to grow separately, but we still have each other and a great relationship. I don’t regret going to the same college as my high school boyfriend and there’s nothing wrong with it.

Collegiettes, when making big life-changing, decisions it’s okay to consider how it will affect others but remember to think of yourself first. You are the one that has to live with it.

My name is Breanna Walden. I am a sophomore Biology major at Winthrop University. I am a sister of Delta Zeta and a Peer Tutor. My favorite things are tacos, pugs, and chocolate croissants.