Get Ready, South Carolina: It’s Tebow Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It’s been an eventful spring for everyone’s old college football heartthrob, but he’s still got a few tricks up his sleeve.

It was announced on March 20, 2017 that former Florida Gators quarterback and Mets outfielder Tim Tebow would be starting out the spring season with the Columbia Fireflies, Columbia’s minor league baseball team.  He didn’t make it onto the Mets’ 2017 season roster – hence his signing with the Fireflies, the Mets’ South Atlantic League affiliate. But according to an interview with NJ.com, Tebow is excited about “just having a chance to go out and compete…I’m looking forward to the opportunity.”

The Fireflies’ season starts April 6, kicking it off with a game against the Augusta Green Jackets.  The Fireflies are selling Tebow merchandise and jerseys online, clearly excited to welcome the athlete onto the team – after all, they made a joking attempt at scouting him via Twitter last year.

Follow the Fireflies on Twitter for updates!  #LetsGlow

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.