This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Feminism. Some hail it as the greatest social issue, some consider it the worst idea ever. Whether you watch a celebrity interview or overhear a conversation in class, the controversial topic has a good chance of being brought up. With this controversy comes many misconceptions, which result in feminism occasionally being called “the new f word.” Celebrities making sure people know they are not a feminist, even though they may agree with feminist ideals. If you yourself have been pondering feminism, read on for an introduction of what feminism actually means.

Feminism is not wanting to be better than men. Let’s start off with the Webster’s Pocket American Dictionary definition of feminism: “support of social, political, and economic rights for women equal to those of men.” Feminists simply want women to be equal to men: equally respected, equally paid, equally honored, the list could go on and on. Feminism is not about breaking men down, it’s about building women up.

Feminism is not about hating men. This is one of the most common misconceptions about feminism. Due to portrayal of early feminists in mass media, which framed these women as man-hating in an attempt to discredit them, today’s society often jumps to extreme and inaccurate conclusions when a female identifies as feminist. Feminists stand for equality and acceptance, not hatred.  Misandry is defined in the Oxford Dictionary as “dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against men.” So when you hear someone say, “I’m not a feminist because I don’t hate men,” what they most likely mean to say is that they’re not a misandrist.

Feminism is about freedom. I’ve often heard girls say they don’t identify as feminist because they’re okay with being a stay-at-home mom or a housewife, or because they don’t mind having their future husband being the head of the house. But what a lot of people don’t understand is that as a feminist, that is a choice they have.  Some feminists are more progressive, some are more traditional and that’s perfectly okay.

Feminism is inclusive. Whether you’re white, black, Latino, Asian, Polynesian, or any other ethnicity, you can be a feminist. If you’re gay, lesbian, bisexual, pansexual, asexual, or demisexual, you can be a feminist. If you’re transgender, you can be a feminist. If you’re a man, you can be a feminist. Brands of feminism have emerged that seem to cater to one specific group – white feminism, for example – but true feminism is inclusive of all races, ages, sexualities and genders.  Women are women, and deserve to be treated equally no matter what. In the words of author bell hooks, “Feminism is for everybody.”

Follow Jordan on Instagram!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.