All My Streaks are Dead, Push Me to The Edge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Okay, so the title may have been exaggerated a little, all my streaks are not dead, but over half of them have ended since I’ve gotten to college, and the ones that haven’t ended seem to always have the little hourglass next to it.

Had this happened last year I might have had a full on breakdown and or panic attack. Back then, Snapchat was high on my priority list right along with eating, sleeping, and school work. Any time you caught me on my phone I was either on Snapchat or venting to one of my friends about how one of my streaks had ended, or that there was no longer a yellow heart next to the person’s name who was at the top of my best friends list.

My entire life essentially revolved around the app, and all the anxiety and unnecessary frustrations it was causing me was getting out of hand.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I still love Snapchat.

It’s an easy way to see what my friends who went to schools hours away are up to when I only have a minute or two to relax and scroll through my phone before getting back to whatever is demanding my attention. It’s also a great marketing tool for just about every club/organization that I’m in because it is one of the most popular social media platforms. However, I think that when you get to college, your priorities change, or at least they should.

I know we hear it all the time, but in ten years, who’s going to care who was your number one best friend or who had the longest streak? Am I saying that it’s wrong to have your real life best friend as your number one best friend on Snapchat? No, definitely not, but it shouldn’t effect your real life relationships and get in the way of what is most important in your life.

So, Collegiettes, go out and live!

Post a Snapchat or Instagram story of your time out, but after that, be done with it. As we get older, time flies by so much quicker and wouldn’t it be awful to look back and realize that we were so caught up in meaningless social media apps that we missed out on the more important things in life?

Don’t be that person that regrets anything from these years where you should be having the most fun of your life, live life to the fullest, always.

Timiya is a freshman Early Childhood Education major. Her hobbies include writing poetry, binge watching Netflix whenever possible (even if she has a mound of homework she should be doing) and traveling. Additionally, Timiya's talents include being able to eat an entire bag of cookies in one sitting and relating any event to something that happened in A Series of Unfortunate Events.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.