dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

To All The Boys I’ve Loved

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

I know at times I cursed your name, got sick from a few pints of ice cream, and stained my friends shirts with mascara tinted tears because of you—but I’m writing this today to tell you thank you anyways. Despite all that, I think it’s finally time that you deserve some credit.

So, thank you for showing me the songs that still to this day are some of my favorites, and thank you for listening to my music and telling me how much you liked it—even if you hated it.

Thank you for the awkward first dates and awkward first kisses; for holding me close when I cried and for holding my hand even when it got clammy.

Thank you for staying up late texting me, whispering over the phone to me after your dad said to go to bed, and for sneaking out to meet me. Thank you for taking me out for ice cream, and for all the stupid movies we watched together.

Thank you for putting up with my drama, my family, and my flaws, and for still telling me you loved me. Thank you for reminding me daily that I was beautiful.

Thank you for reading the same books as me, for walking in the rain with me, for going on adventures with me, and for being my best friend.

Thank you for teaching me how to fall in love, and fall in love again. Thank you for healing my heart. Thank you for the first “I love you”, and the last.

Thank you for also teaching me how to fall out of love. Thank you for the tears, and the snot, and the ugly crying face. Thank you for that tragically beautiful moment when it ended, and thank you for giving me a good enough relationship that I eventually wanted another.

Thank you for being my whole world during the time we spent together, and thank you for the admiration I have for you now. Thank you for that moment—our moment—I know I’ll never forget it.   

I’m sorry that we missed that next moment together, but I know there’s another girl, and another moment for you.     

I will always have love for you and there will always be a place I hold for you in my heart. You were such a big part of my life, and I want nothing more than to honor that.

So, seriously, if I haven’t said it enough, thank you for everything.

HCXO,

Emily 

Emily Murphy has been with Her Campus Media since 2018, and is currently the Branded Content Associate. She was the Campus Correspondent and Editor/President at her chapter at Winthrop University for four years, but has had a passion for all things writing since she was young. When she's not scribbling ideas down for her next branded article, she's watching reruns of Seinfeld while scrolling Pinterest for apartment inspo. Follow her on Instagram at @emilysmurfy