Why I Won’t Apologize for Being Nerdy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Hi, I am considered to be nerdy or dorky, and here’s why: Harry Potter was my childhood, history was my favorite subject in high school, I dream of writing my own books, and I have had glasses since fourth grade . . . but I hate science and math. My friends will say I’m goofy, and they know that when it comes to trivia, I am very good. I sometimes go off on rants about aspects of advertising because it’s my major, even though my friends don’t really care. I don’t dream of vacationing on a beach in the Mediterranean but rather of visiting the Louvre in Paris and seeing crumbling Greek and Roman architecture of ancient civilizations. I can look at a painting made hundreds of years ago and talk about the artist and what the image means. I have spent time thinking about what time period I’d like to live, and what I think the most five famous artworks ever made are, just so I’m prepared if I’m ever asked those questions. I may be outside the norm, but I am okay with that.

I’d rather watch Marvel movies, Supernatural, Doctor Who, or Vikings over Keeping Up with the Kardashians or The Bachelor. I don’t dislike those shows, but I like fantasy, sci-fi, and historical fiction shows because they expand my imagination and take me on adventures. I consider those genres to be my guilty pleasure, but should they really be “guilty”? While on the topic of guilty pleasures, I have seen almost twice as many Broadway musicals than I’ve been to concerts. I hear people say they don’t like musicals and I have to assume they are not very cultured, but it could be that they did not grow up watching them like I did. Going to see traveling Broadway shows is one of my favorite things to do, and then I utilize Spotify to listen to any and all Broadway soundtracks.

Because I won’t apologize for these things, most people I know and am relatively close with know that I love Harry Potter, art, history, and theater. Not everyone knows how much I love my guilty-pleasure TV shows, but I don’t hide that I like them. When I reveal that I love rap, R&B and EDM and rap along to Drake, Eminem or G-Eazy (even though I’m not very good) people are surprised because they know me as the nerd. I have very diverse interests, and in my eyes that makes me an interesting person. I know a little bit about a lot of things, and a lot a bit about a few things. I won’t apologize for the things that make me a cultured person, even though they don’t necessarily fit into the mainstream. My interests make me me, and I am proud to be a Hermione Granger in a world of Kylie Jenners.

Hi I'm Emily and I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin! I'm a Mass Communication- Advertising student, with a minor in Art History at WSU. I like concerts, hockey, cooking, and dancing in the car. I also enjoy guacamole, french fries, and caramel iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts. All I really want to do is travel the world, move to a big city, and spend my weekends on a lake. IG & Twitter @esheptoski
This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.