Taylor Moon: Comeback of the Club Hockey Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

As Minnesotans, we pride ourselves on living in “the state of hockey”, so it is questionable as to why WSU doesn’t have a hockey team. Our campus celebrity, Taylor Moon has taken on the challenge of bringing the WSU Club Hockey team back.  His passion and dedication is something that can be felt from a first impression.  Moon is a senior with a double major and minor and is involved in numerous extracurricular activities.  He will be spending a little extra time here while he pursues his dreams through his double major in Special Education Developmental Disabilities and Special Education Learning Disabilities with minors in Coaching and Child Advocacy.  It might seem like he has a lot on his plate with academics alone, but that doesn’t stop Moon from being an active team member on WSU intramural football, basketball and tennis teams.  When he isn’t studying, coaching or playing sports; you can find him crushing personal bests at the gym, eating a few meals a day, catching a few Z’s or hanging out with his awesome roommates.   People around campus know him as ‘Moon’.  So, lets see how Moon plans to bring the WSU Hockey Club back to life.

How did you become interested in hockey?

I became interested in hockey through my parent’s and extended family. My cousins played hockey, so my parents made me play hockey and I’ve loved it ever since!

Have you played hockey in the past?  And have you ever played club hockey at the collegiate level?

I played hockey for 13 years, from youth hockey up through high school. I never got the chance to play collegiate hockey due to previous concussions in my career that eventually sidelined me from playing competitive contact sports.

Why did you decide to start-up the WSU Hockey Club this year?

In previous years, the club was a joke with minimal involvement and a lack of seriousness to it. Last year, I became coach and wanted a fresh start to a club that has great potential. Minnesota is the “State of Hockey”, so I knew that we could make a squad of committed players in an area of the US that has plenty of competitive college club hockey teams.

Tell us about the steps you took to become the coach of the club?

This past summer started with a blank slate, the club was completely in my hands and at my discretion. Since we were no longer affiliated with the past, I purchased new jerseys and socks for the team.  I also scheduled 20 games with teams throughout the Midwest, and took over all of the roles that “executive members” should have been held responsible for.  How long is the average hockey season and are members able to practice during off-season?

The average hockey season begins in early September extending through both school semesters into February.  Members are on their own to find ice time and training in the summer, a majority of our players continuously workout and are committed to being in “hockey shape” year round.

Will you continue coaching the team next year?

I will continue to coach next year as well as half of the following year, as I will be completing my double major and double minor within that time frame.

Will admission to games be free for students?

General Admission will be $1 or a donation of one canned food item that we will be donating to the local food pantries. Each game will have a specific “cause”, as one of my greatest priorities is giving back to the Winona community.

How can WSU students find out more about the games and team?

WSU students can “like” the Facebook page “Winona State University Hockey Club” or they can email me at TMoon10@winona.edu with any questions they have!

The team practicing at Winona’s King Bud Ice Arena 

Moon coaching the team during a preseaon practice 

Katie is an avid wine connoisseur with an appetite for travel, journaling, a loaded bloody mary and of course, persuading the masses with the help of her PR education. Her current passions reside in creating trendy outfits at T.J.Maxx, rocking her Birkenstocks, finding new Indie artists and daydreaming about backpacking after graduation. She is a firm believer in equality and finding peace within society. She is always down for a fun time, while being fabulous and fierce.