This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Multiple people have told me their professors have said NSCS, the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, is a scam. As an officer, I can confirm these rumors are 100% not true. There is a $95 membership fee, but it’s a one-time thing. This membership gives you access to scholarships and discounts in addition to becoming part of a great organization. Additionally, the Winona State chapter has earned Platinum status, which only 10 chapters of more than 330 chapters in the country are awarded, in the last couple of years.

NSCS holds one meeting a month where upcoming opportunities are discussed. These opportunities will earn you points, and you need an average of eight points per semester to be considered an “active” member and earn cords for graduation.

At every meeting we have some type of donation drive. By donating stuffed animals, non-perishable food items, clothing, and more, you can earn points.

Plenty of community service opportunities are also available, such as helping at the Winona Area Humane Society, attending game nights with seniors at the Friendship Center, and even attending Conversation Nights with international students. Participating in these activities will also earn you points.

NSCS tries to have a “social night” each month for the members to mingle and get to know each other a bit more. Some of these include going to Lakeview Drive-In or a pizza and painting night. My favorite, though, happens around Christmas. We gather together to make Jared Boxes, a concept started for a child who was very sick and spent most of his time in a hospital. People put little toys and things for entertainment in a shoebox and brought it to him. The project has lived on, and NSCS members get the chance to build their own Jared Boxes for the Winona hospital while visiting and listening to Christmas music.

At the end of the year we have an “Active Members” banquet. Those with an average of eight points for each semester get to come have free food and win free stuff. Graduating seniors receive their cords and a special gift.

So now you know – if you happen to get an email during your freshman or sophomore year from NSCS, don’t immediately delete it. Consider joining, because it’s only a handful of people who get invited. Be proud of yourself! We’d be happy to have you. I can’t say anything about any other honor societies you may get emails from, but as for NSCS, we are legitimate!

Cassie is a senior from Eagle, WI. She is pursuing a major in English with a writing emphasis and minoring in Applied and Professional Writing and Psychology. She hopes to one day work for an editing or publishing company and write books on the side. There are few things she loves more than Disney and Bernie Sanders, except maybe animals.
I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.