Meghan Erickson: One-Legged Skiing, Nursing Wonder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Meghan (aka: Meg) Erickson

Year: Junior

Major: Nursing

Hometown: Somerset, WI

HC (Her Campus): How did you come to have your leg amputated?

Meghan: I had a birth defect called Amniotic Band Syndrome, which is when the amniotic sac ruptures and breaks open. Imagine it as a rubber band that ended up wrapping around all four of my limbs. It cut down to the bone on my right leg, so it was amputated at the knee when I was six months old. I was lucky enough that the amputation was at the knee instead of higher, so a prosthetic is able to fit. I am able to walk with a prosthetic, and I didn’t lose any other limbs, which is sometimes the case. In severe cases the amniotic sac can wrap around faces or torsos.

HC: What is the hardest part about having a prosthetic?

M: The hardest part was growing up and having to learn how to do things differently than other people. Little things like driving, riding a bike, and going up stairs are some things that I’ve had to adapt to. I am fortunate to have learned how to walk with one, versus learning how to walk again after losing a leg. My leg is very high-tech; the knee is computerized, and that allows me to be more functional and makes everyday activities easier.  

HC: How did you get involved with Paralympic skiing?

M: When I was seven I was at a swimming lesson, and someone approached my family and asked if I had tried adaptive skiing. I had not at that point, and they got me in contact with an adaptive program in the Twin Cities that taught people how to ski. I started skiing that winter with the program. I started racing when I was ten years old, and I was named to the U.S. Paralympic Developmental team when I was 15. I began to train for the Paralympics, and had the opportunity to travel across the country and to Canada for different training opportunities and to compete in races.

HC: What were some of your best experiences from the U.S. Paralympic Ski Team?

M: Having the opportunity to travel across the country was amazing. I medaled in my first race after being named to the developmental team; that was one of the best feelings I’ve ever had. I made lifelong friendships with my teammates while we were all traveling and doing what we loved. Unfortunately, when it came time to name the 2014 Sochi Olympic/Paralympic team, I missed the qualifying cut by one person. That was when I decided to focus on graduating high school and preparing to come to WSU.

HC: What is something you wish able-bodied people knew about disabilities?

M: I can’t speak for everyone, but I know prejudices and preconceptions exist, and I want to bring more awareness to the fact that having any type of disability does not define you. People with disabilities are just as capable of doing everything else able-bodied people can do; we just have to adapt and do it a little differently. I hope that I can be positive role model for younger people growing up with disabilities. I want them to know that they can accomplish their goals and nothing can stop them from reaching their dreams.

HC: What is your proudest accomplishment so far in your life?

M: My two proudest moments in my life are my experiences with making the U.S. Paralympic team, and being accepted into the nursing program here at WSU.

HC: Is there someone who has inspired you to go out and achieve your goals?

M: My parents have had the biggest influence in my life. They have always encouraged me to be the best I can be in whatever aspect of my life I am focusing on at that point. When I was younger they never let me feel sorry for myself for having a disability. They pushed me to try everything, and do everything. I am so grateful they gave me this mindset, because I know I wouldn’t have been able to accomplish the things in my life without it.

HC: What made you decide to want to become a nurse?

M: I’ve known since sixth grade that I wanted to be a nurse. My mom is a nurse, and that has had a huge influence on me wanting to become one too. I’ve had many experiences throughout my life with nurses, both good and bad. I want to be able to have a positive impact on people during one of the most vulnerable times in their life. I want to help make that experience better for them in any way that I can.

HC: What is your next goal in life?

M: I want to graduate from college, and I want to work as a nurse in a surgical setting. I am considering going on to school after a few years to become a nurse anesthetist, to assist in putting people to sleep during surgery. I hope to someday coach adaptive skiing, and work with kids with disabilities. I also really want to travel the world, and move somewhere other than the Midwest to work and live for a few years. I am excited to see where the future takes me.

Follow Meg on Instagram @meg.erickson7 to see what she’s up to!

Hi I'm Emily and I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin! I'm a Mass Communication- Advertising student, with a minor in Art History at WSU. I like concerts, hockey, cooking, and dancing in the car. I also enjoy guacamole, french fries, and caramel iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts. All I really want to do is travel the world, move to a big city, and spend my weekends on a lake. IG & Twitter @esheptoski
This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.