Lessons from The Golden Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

The Golden Girls is probably one of my favorite shows. I started watching it on TV about a year or so ago and instantly loved it. It was a show that my Grandma thought was funny, so I started to watch it and we found a new thing to bond over. Even though I have not seen the entire series, I know that I can always count on these ladies for a good laugh.

If you don’t know, The Golden Girls is about four older adult women living in Miami. Sophia Petrillo, Blanche Devereaux, and Rose Nylund are widowed and Dorothy Zbornak is divorced. They usually end up in some situation, whether it be far-fetched (like stranded on an island) or believable (like a health scare), and at the end, they work together to try to figure out what to do.

Like any show’s characters, there is something to take from each one of these four women that can be applied to everyday life.

Dorothy

Dorothy is the smart one. She shows that you don’t have to “dumb it down” for anyone to like you. Just be yourself and something good will come out of the situation, whether that be being right or learning a lesson.

Blanche

Blanche is the confident one. She knows what she wants and hardly ever takes “no” for an answer. Blanche taught me to “just go for it.” Know what you want, know how to get it, and just do it. She is also a little vain, which is okay, but don’t go over the top because as the saying goes, pride goes before the fall.

Rose

Rose is portrayed as the “simple-minded” one. She is from St. Olaf, MN where everyone there seems not smart. She always has some crazy story to tell. But Rose is more than just an “airhead”; she is kind and always ready to help. She is the one who would be the first volunteer for something, no matter what it may be. Rose not only taught me to be kind and helpful to others, but also that you need to take time for yourself (I’m thinking of the episode where she collapses when she is overworked because she is volunteering and helping everyone she can).

Sophia

Saving the best for last (okay, maybe I’m a little biased because she is my favorite): Sophia, Dorothy’s mother. Sophia moved from Italy to the United States, so she has many stories to tell of her younger years. Sophia is a funny, quick-witted elderly lady that does what she wants and doesn’t care what others think. You can always count on Sophia for a good laugh or a funny story. Sophia taught me not to take things too hard and always have a story ready, whether it be to teach a lesson or just to have a good laugh.

Put them all together, and you have The Golden Girls — four women that are good on their own, but together they make one great group with each member complementing another.

Now, please excuse me while I go watch The Golden Girls, sing the theme song and laugh out loud to one of my favorite shows.

Meet Linsey Taylor, one of the campus correspondents for the Winona State Her Campus chapter. Linsey is a senior majoring in Therapeutic Recreation with a minor in psychology and hopes to become a child life specialist with her degree. In her free time, Linsey enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and hanging out with friends and family.
Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.