samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Job Interviews: How to Make a Good First Impression

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

By now I would assume that everyone has had an interview of some sort. Spring semester is usually the time when companies begin their interview process for summer internships and opportunities. Being interviewed by someone who could potentially be your future employer is nerve-wracking and highly intimidating. Some people are naturals when it comes to interviews and some are not, and that’s okay. But if you want to be successful you have to know how to make a good first impression and present yourself in a way that is professional. Here are some helpful tips to ease your pre-interview nerves.

Research the Company

When going into an interview, you want to be prepared for any question they throw at you. More often than not one of the first questions employers ask is “What do you know about the company?” This is your chance to show them that you’re actually interested in working for them and the company. Most company websites will have a page with their mission statement, values and what they do. Be sure to brush up on this well before your interview.

Practice

It’s always good to practice before being interviewed. You don’t want to sound rehearsed, but you want to be able to be confident with the answers you give. Practicing common interview questions with a parent, friend, or even by yourself will also help ease any nerves you may have. By practicing beforehand, the chances of being surprised by a question are reduced and you will have an idea about how you want to answer.

Dress for Success

It does not matter if you have an interview at Caribou Coffee or at a big city job in New York; always dress up for an interview! One of the first things employers notice about you is how well you’re dressed. Dressing up may not be your favorite thing to do, but it shows your employers that you can be professional. Would you wear ripped jeans and a dirty t-shirt to an interview at Vogue? Probably not. If you want to make a good first impression, dress to impress the rest!

Make a good impression

There are more ways than one to make a great first impression, one of them being dressing for the part (as stated above). There’s a quote that says, “If you’re early, you’re on time. If you’re on time, you’re late.” And that’s true! Always show up early for your interviews; they could begin earlier than planned. Another way to make a good impression is to stand out and make them remember you. What sets you apart from other people that have been interviewed? Other things that add to making a good impression include a firm handshake, smiling, and making eye contact.

Confidence

Confidence may seem like a no-brainer, but being interviewed for a legitimate job is intimidating; many times people’s confidence seems to suddenly disappear right before the interview. When answering the employer’s questions, be confident in how you answer; don’t second-guess yourself. Always be positive about the interview, and don’t freak yourself out by thinking of the worst possible outcome. Confidence is key, and employers can tell when you’re not fully confident in yourself.

You know what they say: practice makes perfect! So make sure that you go out and look at other helpful pre-interview tips. If you do all these things I guarantee there will be an employer or company who would love to hire you! Good luck!

I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.
Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.