11 Things Professors Do That Students Hate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

When you start college, you think that it’s going to be like high school, except a little bit more challenging. You think that all the professors are going to be nice but stern, and that they will become some of your closest “friends”…well, you’d be wrong.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but sometimes we absolutely despise our professors with a fiery passion. Yes, we still respect the crap out of them, but there are times when they do things that just annoy us beyond belief and in turn start to make us dislike them a little more each day. Here are 10 things that professors do that we as students hate.

1.      Don’t know what they’re teaching.

Sometimes you will come across a professor who has no clue what they are teaching, even though they majored in it! You could be in a marketing class, but learning about psychology.

2.     Take forever to grade stuff.

Not to be over dramatic or anything, but WHY DO YOU DO THIS??? Don’t let our calm demeanor about school fool you; when our grades aren’t posted, we’re freaking out on the inside.

3.     Include items on tests that we have not learned.

Referring to the above rudeness, please don’t include items on the test that are not from the unit. It screws everyone over, especially when you know we haven’t looked ahead at future content.

4.     Make us buy $150 books that we use once (or not at all).

Now does this make any sense? If we use a section of a book, I would much rather read it from a PDF than have to buy an entire book. And I could have used that money elsewhere for more important things like groceries (or idk, Taco Bell).

5.     Not use their email.

No, I will not text you the question I have about class…that’s very weird. You have an email for a reason; I suggest you use it. Please, I beg of you.

6.     Get on tangents about the most random things.

Please remind me, but how does your childhood best friend who broke his arm in second grade relate to anything we’re learning in Western Civ. 1815 – Present? Asking for a friend.

7.     Not let us use our laptops in class.

I understand that us being on our laptops can be considered rude, BUT a lot of us don’t like reading smeared notes that we hand write. Therefore, using our laptops is a necessity.

8.     Schedule tests on Mondays.

I get it; sometimes, based on when units end, you can’t avoid doing this. But Monday tests are a cruel way to start the week, and let’s be real, we probably didn’t study much over the weekend.

9.     When you have chicken scratch for handwriting.

I can’t tell you how many times I have spent the class period trying to decipher what was written on the board, so all in favor of making it a requirement for professors to have legible handwriting say “aye!”

10.     Reference their own books.

We get it, you guys are all crazy smart, but do you know what annoys students the most? When you reference yourself from your own book! It makes you sound very conceited.

11.      Tough with grading.

Yes, college is supposed to be tough, but have some mercy with the grades! It seems like any little thing we do makes our grade go down: grammar, helping someone with homework, or even sneezing could lower a grade.

This list could go on for a while, but I made the ultimate decision to keep my rants to a maximum of 11 items. I know a handful of professors who do these things all day, every day; thankfully I won’t have to deal with it for much longer.

I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.