Career

Why You Should Take Your LinkedIn Game Seriously

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Using the internet to your advantage can be extremely beneficial in an era where it can be so hard to differentiate yourself from others in a pool of job applicants. I made my LinkedIn account in high school because of an invite from my uncle that was probably sent accidentally. Who needs a LinkedIn profile in Grade 11? Well, as it turns out, everyone! 

By creating my LinkedIn account so young, I’ve been able to update and develop my network over the course of my university career as my “friends” from first-year become more like “peers and colleagues” experiencing professional growth. Now, here we all are in 2018 as seniors, graduating from Facebook High School to LinkedIn University. 

LinkedIn has been super beneficial for me personally over the past 5 years. It’s been an easy way to update my awards, certifications, jobs, volunteer opportunities, and skill set. As things expire or grow irrelevant to my career journey, it’s so simple to remove them in order to emphasize my best employable assets and keep my profile readable, relevant, and up to date. Even if you’re not looking for a job right now, it’s a convenient way to generate a timeline of everything you’ve done in the past. Honestly, the number of times I’ve gone through my own LinkedIn profile when trying to recall the number of years I worked at that camp or volunteered with that organization… countless!

I’ve also noticed that many of the graduate jobs I’ve been applying to also provide the option to apply directly through LinkedIn, meaning that the employer will be directed straight to your updated profile. Using this feature can make your job search way more efficient. By being able to send out more applications, you’ll hopefully hear back from an increased number of employers and thus increase your chances of landing a job! Once you send off a single resume to an employer, that’s the only version they have and it’s difficult to let them know about things that you’ve done or courses you’ve taken to enhance your skillset. By sharing your LinkedIn profile with them they can potentially review your profile again in 6 months or a year and see all the work you’ve been doing to make yourself a more valuable employee. 

It’s additionally a fantastic resource for finding articles and other reading material from professionals on how to become successful in your field. You can follow companies and influencers and as you grow your network, you’ll start to see more content being filtered and shared onto your feed. It’s nice to have insight towards market trends and valuable skills in the field you’re hoping to enter post-grad. I’ve noticed that if you look hard enough, a lot of companies will share exactly what they are looking for in their new employees, therefore allowing you to use your time during your undergrad to develop those assets and become a perfect match for their company! Companies recruit via LinkedIn all the time, so showcasing the things you’ve done to help you get ahead definitely helps your profile stand out!

LinkedIn also actively provides you with suggestions on how to improve your profile and get noticed by more recruiters! While some of these suggestions do take some effort, I’d say they’re totally worth the time it takes to add details to your profile. Not only does a thorough profile demonstrate effort, it also provides a perfect opportunity to demonstrate writing and summarizing skills! 

Some key features you might want to have on your LinkedIn profile include:

A professional headshot 

If you’re getting your grad pictures done soon, go prepared to take some “casual” shots which work perfectly as LinkedIn headshots! You can also keep an eye out for business clubs providing headshot services around campus.

Your highest level of education

Don’t hesitate to include your major, your minor or concentration, and a year by year breakdown of clubs and activities you’ve participated in! 

Your 3-4 most recent or relevant job experiences 

If the fast food chain you worked at part-time in high school is no longer serving your career goals, it can go. For example, I no longer include the paper route I had when I was 13 on my resume just because what I’m doing now is usually more important than what I’ve done in the past. You always have to be seeking opportunities for personal and professional growth!

Your volunteer experiences

Volunteering may be super helpful for identifying which tasks you can’t stand to do “on the job” and which ones could blossom into a job or career that is fulfilling and enjoyable. Volunteering is just free experience so always be willing to try new things (even if they sound like they kind of suck at first).

Some notable skills relevant to your experience

This is very quick and easy. As soon as you type in one skill, LinkedIn starts returning results for similar skills that you probably also possess. This section should take less than 5 minutes to complete because you can choose the most relevant skills like rapid fire.

Connections

Start with friends and trusted colleagues. Ask these people to endorse your skills as you connect, and naturally, you should be returning the favour! LinkedIn connections, like Facebook friends, allow you to grow your network and expand the scope of people you may come across. Pay attention to those on a similar career path as you and see who they’re connecting with!

I think that’s all the advice I have for you right now, but we all know by this point there will probably be more coming at you soon. So, I guess, uh, stay tuned!

Emily Barrieau

Wilfrid Laurier

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.