Why You Should Explore Your Sexuality in University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

University is the time to figure out who you are and what you want out of life, your career, and your love life.

It’s a pure numbers game.

There will never be a better or bigger dating pool than you have in university.  Once you leave college or university, meeting people that are within your age group and single becomes exponentially more difficult. Take advantage of the fact that you can meet as many people as you want and date as many people as you want.

Everyone’s doing it.

Sure, “just because everyone else is doing it” isn’t really a good answer, but university is a relaxed setting and one of the least judgemental environments you will experience during your life.  The truth is that no one cares who you sleep with. 

You’re no longer under the microscope of your parents.

You are away from home and what you do at school, stays at school.  This means anything that may have been viewed as inappropriate in your small hometown is fair game.

No one expects you to label yourself. 

Okay, we have all heard girls called sluts and guys called players… but that is so high school.  As long as you maintain respect for yourself and practice safe and consensual sex, no one cares who you sleep with, or what gender you identify as.  So if you’re interested in sexual exploration with the same sex, this is the time to try it…there is a reason they say “that one time in college”. 

Don’t knock it till you try it.

Sexuality is fluid and not everyone is perfectly straight, perfectly gay, or perfectly bisexual, and realistically, you will not know ‘till you try.  It is not for everyone, but social norms no longer expect you to maintain heteronormative relationships and exploring your sexual identity is a realistic component of life.   As a lesbian, I may be biased, but if I did not use my time during university to explore what I wanted, I would not be as happy with both my physical, and emotional relationships (not only do women know exactly what you want in bed… but their maturity levels are substantially higher).

It’s fun.

Personally, I look forward to settling down and starting a family, but at age 21, it is important to value the freedom that we get. So be wild.  Try something different.  Push the limit.  Give yourself a chance to figure out what you want and need in an intimate partner.  Life is too short to limit yourself. 

Practice makes perfect.

How is your significant other supposed to know what you want if you don’t know what you want? So, figure it out. Get to know yourself down there and don’t be afraid to tell your partner what you like.  Keep practicing until you have every single thing you want, and get everything you need.

Because your partner is just as important as you.

While I have been suggesting doing this for yourself, it is also important to make sure that your partner is satisfied. You want to make sure that you are as excited and thrilled to please them as they are to please you, and nothing fulfills the ego more than making someone weak in the knees.  Explore the things they want intimately, and rock their world.

Because you’re a strong, independent woman who knows what she wants and what she deserves.

Do. Not. Settle. Do not settle for anything less than multiple orgasms, true love, and complete honesty.  If your intimate relationships do not carry all of these components, they are not worth your attention or time.  Find someone who can meet your needs and excites you to meet theirs. 

At the end of the day, if you’re a bit curious, don’t be afraid to explore!

Danielle Bazely

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year Commuications major focusing in Business and Management, with an Economics minor at Wilfrid Laurier University.  Red wine lover and foodie (or excessive eater).  Type A personality with a perfectionist complex and a grammar addiction.  Can either be found in her red Jeep or at the on campus Starbucks.