freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Time to Meet the Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

So you’ve found a great guy or gal, things are going well, and you’ve both decided that it’s time to meet each other’s families. Whether this is your first time meeting a S.O.’s family or your 5th time, the nervous feeling is hard to escape. After all, this is a big step in a relationship! There are a few things you need to keep in mind when meeting their family. These people have the potential to play a significant long-term role in your life and in your relationship, so a good first impression is very important!

1. Consider the impact this is going to have on your relationship

Meeting someone’s family is a huge step in a relationship and, for many couples, a sign of becoming more serious. Get ready to step out of the couple comfort zone that you’re both used to and into the opinions of their parents, siblings, and even extended family. Whether you want it to or not, this will change your relationship. All of a sudden, these people become a part of your life; you’ll start spending time with them and their opinions will begin to influence your relationship.

2. Dress appropriately

That skin tight dress your S.O. thinks you look amazing in is probably not the best choice for meeting their family. A good rule of thumb is if you wouldn’t wear it in front of your grandparents, you shouldn’t wear it for meeting their family.

3. Make conversation

Awkward silences suck for everyone. You’re going to be asked a lot of questions about yourself; their parents will want to get to know the girl who is dating their child, so don’t just give them one word answers; open up and let them get to know you. These people raised the person you’re dating, so it’s a good idea to get to know them too. Asking questions about their lives or interests will help avoid any awkward silences. If your S.O. has siblings, try and relate to them on common ground; they’re bound to have hilarious and embarrassing childhood stories you’d love to hear.

4. Relax

I promise it won’t be as bad as you think it’s going to be! Chances are their mom is nothing like the evil, overbearing mother straight out of your favourite rom-com. Just be yourself, bring your sense of humour and a smile, and everything will go smoothly!

The thought of meeting your S.O.’s family for the first time is enough to turn anyone in to a nervous wreck, so follow these tips! Once the night is done, you’ll wonder why you even made such a big deal about it.

You can find Rachel hanging out with her hedgehog and binge watching Netflix. She's a third year student at Laurier completing a double major in Sociology and Philosophy. This is Rachel's first time writing for Her Campus, she is excited and eager to experience all that HC has to offer!
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem