7 Shows Created and Written by Women to Get You Excited about Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Let’s not lie to ourselves. We’re watching TV; on Netflix, HBO, Amazon, and sometimes even on the actual TV! Why not invest that quality TV time in supporting your fellow women? In the past few years a number phenomenal shows have come out all created and written by women. So, get your squad together and enjoy some awesome shows that’ll get you excited about women!

1. Insecure Created, Written and Starring Issa Rae, HBO

Insecure follows the life of protagonist, Issa (Issa Rae) as she navigates life with her friends. The show is centered around the experience of young modern-day African American women, and focuses on Issa’s awkward, and sometimes racy, travels through the last stretch of her twenties.

2. Scandal Created and Written by Shonda Rhimes, ABC

This political drama stars Kerry Washington as former White House Communications Director, Olivia Pope. After leaving the White House, Pope starts her own crisis management firm, only to find herself in an entertaining continuum of crises brought to her not only by the clients…

3. Big Little Lies Based on the book by Liane Moriarty, Produced by and Starring Reese Witherspoon, HBO

A group of wealthy mothers find themselves facing more than politics at the PTA meetings. The star-studded cast consisting of Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Laura Dern, Zoë Kravitz and Shailene Woodley, tell stories of women facing an array of troubles, from parenting struggles to abuse. The HBO drama looks into the lives of women, touching on the many facets of motherhood, female friendships, and love that all begin to unravel.

4. New Girl Created and Written by Elisabeth Meriwether, FOX

This light-hearted comedy follows Jess (Zooey Deschanel) as she moves into a loft with three men after a bad break-up. The show features a number of comedic shenanigans and highlights the importance of friendship.

5. How to Get Away with Murder by Shonda Rhimes, ABC

A group of law students, working as interns for their professor, played by the infamous Viola Davis, find themselves working on cases that become more personal than they expected when they become entwined in a murder plot, or two.

6. Better Things Created, Written and Starring Pamela Adlon, FX

A single mother played by Pamela Adlon, works to balance her acting career with raising her three daughters. The show is a refreshing comedic take on the struggles of motherhood and finding one’s individuality.

7. Chewing Gum Created, Written, and Starring Michaela Coel, NETFLIX

This comedy is about a young woman named Tracey, living in working-class London. The show gives a colour depiction of the story of girlhood and growth, touching on subjects of sexuality, religion and race.

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.