Steph Connor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Meet Stephanie Connor, a fourth year Western student and Senator at Large. 

1.Tell us a little bit about yourself
My name is Stephanie Connor, but I prefer going by “Steph Connor”. I am from Barrie, Ontario and I am currently a fourth-year student at Western completing a double major in Political Science and Philosophy. I am a HUGE foodie, crazy about social media, and I love nature & the great outdoors (preferably when it’s warm outside). I have a holistic view of health and nutrition, and believe in natural remedies ONLY.

2.What are some of the extracurricular activities you are involved with on and/or off campus?
I currently work at Jack Astor’s on Richmond Row as a hostess (aspiring to be a server in the next few months), I work with Premierlife.ca in events promotions, and I am completing my second term as a Senator-at-Large at Western. I am also working with TEDxWesternU.

3.How did you first get involved with the USC and what has been the most rewarding experience you’ve had?
I have been involved in student politics since high school, and I made sure to get involved as soon as I arrived here at Western. In my first year of university, I was elected as the Essex Hall Caucus representative. Following this experience, I was inspired to continue my involvement in political endeavours and I aimed for a greater position. I ran for Senator-at-Large and successfully acquired this position for two consecutive terms. I have met such wonderful and motivated people in the USC who are so dedicated to making change. It’s inspiring being surrounded by people who have big goals and who want to make a positive difference on our campus.

4.What were/are your goals as part of your position in the USC?
One of my goals as a member of the Senate was to implement a Fall Reading Break at Western. This has been a goal of students on the USC and Senate for roughly 8 years. Fortunately, we were able to lobby Western administration this year to make this positive change for students and we will see this new break moving forward in the 2013-2014 school year.
A more broad, but significantly passionate goal of mine is to successfully promote the USC to the entire student body at Western. I believe that it is extremely important that all students are aware of what the USC is and what they do for the student body at Western. That being said, I want to inspire unengaged students to become active and engaged in helping to make positive changes around our campus, by means of joining the USC and advocating for new policies.

5.What advice would you give to students considering running for positions in the USC?
Most importantly: BE YOU, stand out, and always have good intentions!

6.What do you love most about Western and what is your favorite Western tradition? 
I love Western because I consider it my home away from home. From my first day here at Western, I felt comfortable and I knew that this is where I belonged, and every day since then, this feeling has been confirmed.

I will always love Western Homecoming because it reminds me why I love this school and why this is where I belong. Homecoming is an inclusive event where all students can come together as one big family and celebrate our purple pride!

7. What is your most memorable experience at Western?
I have so many memorable experiences at Western but if I had to choose one, it would be getting involved early on. “Getting involved” is completely subjective, and means something different to each and every student here. I chose to get involved from the very beginning of my time here at Western by joining several different groups, clubs, and committees. It starts with being open to trying new things, meeting new people, and gaining knowledge in these diverse areas, and because of these amazing experiences, I have met so many remarkable people that I will stay in touch with for the rest of my life.

7.What are your plans after graduation?
I have yet to discover.

8.What and/or who inspires you?
My mother—because she is the epitome of a strong independent woman.
My father—because he can make any situation hilarious.
My boyfriend—because he is the most hardworking individual I know (and because he is almost as funny as my dad).
Gandhi—because he led a revolution without the use of violence.

9.Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Somewhere tropical, with the sun beaming down on me, surrounded by the ocean, sand, palm trees, and fresh fruit.

10.Any last comments/advice/thoughts?
Smile—it could always be worse.

HC Quiz

Celebrity Crush: I’ve always loved Ashton Kutcher. He’s the perfect mix of cute, quirky, AND hilarious.
Dream Job: One where I can wake up every morning excited for the day ahead of me, where I can make positive change while “working”, and where I can come home at the end of the day with no worries.
Guilty pleasure:  FOOD!!!
Pet peeves: Spelling/grammar mistakes, socks, unorganized messes.
People who know me well know that: I am a huge foodie, and that I love cracking jokes!
If you could have one super power, what would it be? To fly!
If you were stranded on a desert island, you would need? Food, water, shelter, and a friend…that’s about it.
Favorites:
Movie:
I’ve always been a huge fan of the Austin Powers film series—they are just way too funny!
Band/singer: Fleetwood Mac.
Past time: Eating.
Food: Oh my goodness, this is so hard for me to narrow down, so I will choose three. I love pasta, preferably linguine with a homemade primavera sauce (made by my wonderful Italian mother, of course!), pizza (must have extra sauce, tons of grease-think Pizza Hut crust, and VERY CHEESY), and sushi/sashimi.
Off campus location: I love Richmond Row—from Jack Astor’s, to Victoria Park, to Jim Bob Ray’s, to Starbucks, and to all the little shops on the way

Rida is a fourth year student at the University of Western Ontario and is extremely excited about the opportunity to bring Her Campus to London! She recently changed her major from Finance to English Literature after finally realizing what she wanted to do with her life. Having spent her whole life in the Middle East (Dubai and Saudi Arabia) Rida had no choice but to grow up a shopaholic! Having shifted from the desert to the great ice box that is Canada, she still finds it difficult to adjust to the freezing weather. In her spare time, Rida likes reading, watching way too many shows, stuffed crust pizza and,of course, shopping! Her aspirations are to one day live in Paris and be a writer for Vogue.