My Travel Diaries: The Big Apple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I have traveled a lot in my lifetime, for a 19 year old, and I can say that I have fallen more in love with New York City every time I go. I am such a city person, and if you are too, this is the ultimate place to visit. Recently, I went with one of my best friends and we tried to channel our inner Sex and the City as we walked through Time Square at night, and legitimately shopped till we dropped on Fifth Avenue. If you are thinking of going to New York City any time soon, here are a couple places I swear will make your trip ten times more memorable.

1) Explore the Trails of Central Park

I have been to New York City multiple times, but only on my most recent time visiting did I fit Central Park into my itinerary. It was always a stop that I wanted to visit, as everyone always says that the aesthetic mix of the concrete jungle and the serene landscape of the park are a sight that shouldn’t  be missed. Personally, I’m all for planning ahead, but Central Park is a great place to just explore and go with the flow. There are always cool things to see and do while walking around on a Sunday afternoon, such as watch interesting street performers or indulge in some delicious food from local vendors. 

2) Watch New York Come Alive at Night

When anyone mentions New York City, everyone thinks of the picturesque skyline and how it transforms to a city of lights at night. The Empire State Building does not disappoint, and definitely lives up the the glowing reviews, as their 360o floor observatory is an unforgettable opportunity to take in the lights and nightlife of Manhattan any day of the week. I have been to the Empire State Building many times, but I always make an effort to go back every time I visit the city, as, without fail, this experience always feels completely unreal. If you want to feel on top of the world, definitely fit this place into your busy schedule.

3) Remembering the Losses of 9/11

New York City is the home to many amazing once in a lifetime experiences. Ground Zero is a breathtaking memorial dedicated to the lives of 9/11 that were lost, and it couldn’t be more beautiful. Visiting this place the last time I went to New York City was surreal, as it pushed me to reflect on my life, and be grateful for all of the wonderful things that I should be grateful for.  Reliving moments in history are things that each person should experience in their lifetime, to help them understand the amount of people that risked their lives for the better of humankind.

4) Discover Authentic Cuisine

The Big Apple is known for their viral food inventions, and the city  definitely does not disappoint. I made a food “bucket list” of all the amazing restaurants I couldn’t leave New York City without trying. Places like “Two Boots Pizza “on 9th avenue has tasty pizza, and “Momofuku Milk Bar” in Midtown Manhattan has delicious desserts, I suggest the crack pie… you can thank me later. Try to be as authentic as possible when it comes to food in New York City, I can guarantee that you won’t regret it!

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.