This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I’m her boyfriend’s sister. I’m the one that gets to decide if she’s fun enough, pretty enough, smart enough, and good enough. My opinion matters to my brother because I am his sister, the one who has grown up with him, the one that knows him best in a lot of ways. Sure, my brother has had a few girlfriends in his time… but none of them were Tay. None of them became my best friend, my confidante, and my sister. Now, my brother hasn’t yet popped the question, but that doesn’t change how grateful I am that he has found someone so good for him, so good for my family, and so good for me. It is so important for families to get along with the person you are dating and bringing into their lives, because they love their own, they’ve already established their family unit and they protect it. Accepting Tay into our family was no hard task. She is a light, a gift, a woman who is, yes, – a year younger than me, but has been through so much herself, and cares so much, that I would be more than honoured to have her truly married into my family one day. I love my brother… but I love him even more for bringing Tay into my life and for not settling for someone who wouldn’t have made an effort to get to know me, to love and care about me and the people I love. I am able to look at their relationship and feel motivated to find that same kind of partner myself… someone who will also aim to make my family feel so comfortable and who they will trust to take care of me, and my heart, like she does for my brother. I love my brother’s girlfriend, and I can’t wait to lead the way in front of her, bouquet in hand, up the aisle to my big brother.

– Your Boyfriend’s Sister

When meeting your boyfriend’s sister, not everyone gets as lucky as I did. When being introduced to my boyfriend’s younger sister, I really never knew what a huge part of my life she would become… but I gained a best friend, partner in crime, an inspiration, and a sister for myself. After meeting her just once at a charity baseball tournament, we connected instantly and soon became two peas in a pod.

Never in a million years did I think she would assist me in so many milestones not only in my relationship but my life. I always thought being close with a boyfriends sister had to be all about pretending be perfect… well not for me. She has always accepted me for my imperfections and truly understands who I am. Whether that means gossiping, crushing a pitcher of sangria, sitting beside each other at family dinners, or encouraging each other to spend money we don’t have at the mall… my boyfriends sister is someone I can always depend on, no matter what I need…

To both my boyfriend and I, family is everything. We both cherish knowing how close I’ve become with his sister. She inspires me to be my best self, she pushes me to follow my huge dreams, and she has also taught me there is no such thing as having a dream too big.

My boyfriend’s sister helps me battle my demons everyday, and I will forever be grateful of that. I could never wish for more in a future sister as everyone deserves to have this kind of relationship with the people they will one day truly be able to call- family. All I can wish for the future is that my brother’s sister is right there with me while I marry the man of my dreams… and that one day our daughters can have the same unbreakable bond we have been able to create.

– Your Brother’s Girlfriend

Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.